Putin calls Modi express solidarity
Published: 03:41 PM, 1 March 2019 Updated: 03:43 PM, 1 March 2019
Russian President Vladimir Putin (Left) and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi (Right): File Photo
Russian President Vladimir Putin has called Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and conveyed solidarity of his country with India in the latter’s fight against terrorism. This is the first time Russia’s support on behalf of India about two weeks after the Kashmir killing while tension grew fast over the border of these two rival countries.
Modi thanked Putin for Russia’s "steadfast support" for India’s efforts to protect its interests against cross-border terror attacks, the Indian Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement last night.
Putin's phone call to Modi came as first signs of de-escalation of tensions between India and Pakistan emerged yesterday with Pakistan PM Imran Khan announcing that his country would free the captured Indian Air Force pilot Abhinandan Varthaman later today.
Modi “renewed India’s commitment to strengthening bilateral cooperation in countering terrorism as a pillar of privileged and special strategic partnership (with Russia). Both leaders agreed that the concerned should stop all support to terrorism,” the statement said.
President Putin expressed his deep condolences on the Pulwama terrorist attack which left 40 Indian paramilitary men dead on February 14.
Both the leaders also agreed that the growing cooperation between the two countries will take their special and privileged strategic partnership from strength to strength, according to the statement.
Putin reiterated the invitation to the Indian prime minister to attend the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok, Russia, later this year and Modi welcomed the invitation and underscored the significance of growing economic cooperation, including in the Russian Far East, between the two countries.
- 71 more coronavirus deaths reported n China
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on March 22
- Rain with squally wind likely
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Delhi battleground again, 5 killed
- Zimbabwe at innings loss risk
- Drug lord held with heroin
- Trawler capsized in Inani beach, missing 2
- Three Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Today’s sports on TV
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Coronavirus hits more Middle East countries
- Trump announces defence deal with India
- Papiya placed on 15-day remand
- Police becomes barrier to treatment of Rickshaw puller’s mother
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on Mar 22
- Trump visits Taj Mahal
- Young girl crushed under train in Lalmonirhat
- Yunusur Rahman made DSE chairman
- Mahathir becomes interim PM
- Trump forgets Gandhi at Gandhi’s Ashram
- PM urges Japan to investment in power sector
- No one will escape committing crime: Quader
- 12 Jailed for carrying marijuana in Jamalpur
- India seal comfortable victory over Bangladesh
- Rapist detained after 18 yrs of rape
- RU also denies joining uniform admission test
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- All News »
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!