Putin calls Modi express solidarity
Published: 03:41 PM, 1 March 2019 Updated: 03:43 PM, 1 March 2019
Russian President Vladimir Putin (Left) and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi (Right): File Photo
Russian President Vladimir Putin has called Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and conveyed solidarity of his country with India in the latter’s fight against terrorism. This is the first time Russia’s support on behalf of India about two weeks after the Kashmir killing while tension grew fast over the border of these two rival countries.
Modi thanked Putin for Russia’s "steadfast support" for India’s efforts to protect its interests against cross-border terror attacks, the Indian Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement last night.
Putin's phone call to Modi came as first signs of de-escalation of tensions between India and Pakistan emerged yesterday with Pakistan PM Imran Khan announcing that his country would free the captured Indian Air Force pilot Abhinandan Varthaman later today.
Modi “renewed India’s commitment to strengthening bilateral cooperation in countering terrorism as a pillar of privileged and special strategic partnership (with Russia). Both leaders agreed that the concerned should stop all support to terrorism,” the statement said.
President Putin expressed his deep condolences on the Pulwama terrorist attack which left 40 Indian paramilitary men dead on February 14.
Both the leaders also agreed that the growing cooperation between the two countries will take their special and privileged strategic partnership from strength to strength, according to the statement.
Putin reiterated the invitation to the Indian prime minister to attend the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok, Russia, later this year and Modi welcomed the invitation and underscored the significance of growing economic cooperation, including in the Russian Far East, between the two countries.
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Zareen Khan recalls facing casting couch
- BD to host SAFF Championship in Sept 2020
- 5 cops in remand held with Yaba
- 1st edition of Amputee football held in capital
- Scientists detect newborn black hole
- Yugi’s lime, a rural art
- Tips to protect your mobile bank
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Sanjay Dutta in TV drama series!
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Motorcyclist killed in Bagerhat road crash
- US shows evidence of Iran’s involvement in Saudi oil attacks
- PM receives APJ Kalam Memorial Award
- 4 officials promoted to senior secretaries
- Zinc factory in remote village!
- Rohingya terrorist detained with pistol from Balukhali camp
- Saudi clears multiple Umrah fine
- AL withdraws candidature for Rangpur-3 by-polls
- ‘Viqarunnisa principal can’t join before 11:00 am on Tuesday’
- Does your cream contain vitamin C?
- HC orders judicial inquiry against Puthia OC
- PM orders to form separate police unit for Metro Rail
- Spicy Fish Kabab
- Idol makers passing busy days in Khulna
- Sunerah in short film
- Youth kills brother for 10 bucks
- Kishoreganj Manik murder: 10 get life term
- 3000 Bangladeshi may lose citizenship in Italy!
- BRTC does not need corrupt officials: Quader
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- With one suicide every 40 seconds, WHO urges action
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- 5yrs without Firoza Begum
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Mishu new face in Tigers` T20 squad
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Nan Madol: Ghost City on sea
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Bribe-taking sub-registrar to be suspended
- Shakib prized Afghanistan
- Runa Laila for the 1st time in long music career
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday