Probe report against Irfan, 7 others Nov 30...

Dhaka, Thursday   26 November 2020

Probe report against Irfan, 7 others Nov 30

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 12:27 PM, 27 October 2020  

Detainee Irfan Selim

Detainee Irfan Selim

The court has fixed November 30 for the submission of an investigation report against seven people, including Irfan Selim, son of Dhaka-7 MP Haji Selim, in a case of assaulting a navy official.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Abu Sufian Mohammad Noman passed the order on Monday.

Munshi Kamrul, general registration officer (GRO) of the court, said the judge directed Dhanmondi police station inspector (unarmed) Ashfaq Rajib Hasan to investigate the case and submit a report.

Besides, the same court granted one-day remand to Irfan Selim’s driver Mizanur Rahman in the case.

On Tuesday morning, Police have arrested AB Siddique Dipu, another associate of Haji Selim’s son Irfan Selim, from Tangail on charges of assaulting Lieutenant Wasif Ahmed Khan of Bangladesh Navy.

Earlier on Monday, RAB raided the residence of Irfan, son of MP Haji Selim and a councilor of Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC). 

Irfan Selim was sentenced to one year in prison by RAB executive magistrate Sarwar Alam for possession and use of drugs and illegal walkie-talkies. At the time, Irfan’s bodyguard Md. Jahidul Islam was also sentenced to one year in prison.

On Sunday night, Lt Wasif lodged a case against four named accused, including Irfan Selim and 2-3 unnamed persons. The three other named accused are — AB Siddique Dipu, 45, Md Zahid, 35, and Md Mizanur Rahman, 30. 

According to the case statement, a private car hit Lt Wasif’s motorcycle near Labaid Hospital at Dhanmondi around 7:45 pm when he along with his wife was returning to their Mohammadpur residence from Nilkhet area. Later, some people came out of the car and physically assaulted the navy official. They also abused his wife verbally.

After the incident, with the help of the local people and the traffic police officer of Dhanmondi police station, the navy officer and his wife were rescued and took them to Anwar Khan Modern Hospital for treatment.