Pro-AL candidates win DUTA poll
Published: 06:51 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 06:54 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Awami League-backed teachers under “Blue Panel” today swept Dhaka University Teachers’ Association (DUTA) election, bagging 14 out of 15 executive committee posts, including all key positions.
Blue panel’s DU Earth and Environmental Science Faculty Dean Professor Dr ASM Maksud Kamal has been elected as DUTA president while Business Faculty Dean Professor Shibli Rubayat Ul Islam general secretary.
Prof Kamal bagged 1,306 votes, while his rival Soil, Water and Environment Dept Professor Mohammad Akhtar Hossain Khan from White Panel, secured 453 votes. Prof Shibli bagged 805 votes while White Panel’s Statistics Department Chairperson Prof Luthfor Rahman got 689 votes.
Blue panel candidates -DU Biological Science Faculty Dean Prof Dr Md Imdadul Hoque, Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) dept professor Mamtaz Uddin Ahmed and English dept professor Dr. Tazin Aziz won the posts of vice-president, treasurer and joint secretary respectively.
The elected executive committee members from blue panel are: Professor Chandranath Poddar, Professor Zeenat Huda, Professor Nisar Hosain, Professor Aftab Ali Seikh, Professor Ziaur Rahman, Professor Nizamul Huq Bhuiyan, Professor Sadeka Halim, Professor Sabita Rizwana Rahman and Professor Soumitra Sekhar Dey.
DU syndicate member and Engineering and Technology Faculty Dean Prof Hasanuzzaman, is the only person elected as a member of the executive committee of DUTA from the pro-BNP white panel while Pharmacy Department Chairperson Dr. Sitesh Chandra Bachar was the lone Blue Panel candidate who could not be elected.
Professor Dr. Tofail Ahmed Chowdhury who conducted the election announced the results at around 4 pm at the DU Teachers’ Club. “Out of 1988 voters, 1550 teachers cast their votes,” Prof Tofail told BSS.
Earlier, voting was held from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the teacher’s club on the campus.
A total of 30 candidates contested against 15 posts of the executive committee of DUTA.
Last year, the result was almost the same as the Blue Panel swept DUTA election, bagging 14 out of 15 posts.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor