Pro-AL candidates win DUTA poll
Published: 06:51 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 06:54 PM, 4 December 2018
Awami League-backed teachers under “Blue Panel” today swept Dhaka University Teachers’ Association (DUTA) election, bagging 14 out of 15 executive committee posts, including all key positions.
Blue panel’s DU Earth and Environmental Science Faculty Dean Professor Dr ASM Maksud Kamal has been elected as DUTA president while Business Faculty Dean Professor Shibli Rubayat Ul Islam general secretary.
Prof Kamal bagged 1,306 votes, while his rival Soil, Water and Environment Dept Professor Mohammad Akhtar Hossain Khan from White Panel, secured 453 votes. Prof Shibli bagged 805 votes while White Panel’s Statistics Department Chairperson Prof Luthfor Rahman got 689 votes.
Blue panel candidates -DU Biological Science Faculty Dean Prof Dr Md Imdadul Hoque, Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) dept professor Mamtaz Uddin Ahmed and English dept professor Dr. Tazin Aziz won the posts of vice-president, treasurer and joint secretary respectively.
The elected executive committee members from blue panel are: Professor Chandranath Poddar, Professor Zeenat Huda, Professor Nisar Hosain, Professor Aftab Ali Seikh, Professor Ziaur Rahman, Professor Nizamul Huq Bhuiyan, Professor Sadeka Halim, Professor Sabita Rizwana Rahman and Professor Soumitra Sekhar Dey.
DU syndicate member and Engineering and Technology Faculty Dean Prof Hasanuzzaman, is the only person elected as a member of the executive committee of DUTA from the pro-BNP white panel while Pharmacy Department Chairperson Dr. Sitesh Chandra Bachar was the lone Blue Panel candidate who could not be elected.
Professor Dr. Tofail Ahmed Chowdhury who conducted the election announced the results at around 4 pm at the DU Teachers’ Club. “Out of 1988 voters, 1550 teachers cast their votes,” Prof Tofail told BSS.
Earlier, voting was held from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the teacher’s club on the campus.
A total of 30 candidates contested against 15 posts of the executive committee of DUTA.
Last year, the result was almost the same as the Blue Panel swept DUTA election, bagging 14 out of 15 posts.
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Heart health: Love one you`re with
- Conduct leastwise two cases free: CJ
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- PM joins Munich Security Conference
- India warns Pakistan of `strong response`
- Trump to spend $8B for Mexico wall
- Haiti president breaks silence finally
- ‘Fagun Haway’ draws huge acclamation
- UN sought $920m for Rohingya
- Motorcyclist killed in Nanglokote road crash
- 78th birthday of Dr Wazed tomorrow
- Myanmar court sentences two to death for Muslim lawyer`s murder
- Dhaka for OIC help on Rohingya issue
- PM seeks more WHO engagement
- Facebook taps user data to defend workers from threat
- Farmers dream in coriander
- Barca extent Valverde contract until 2020
- Tea output increases 57 pc in northern districts
- Allama Shafi with helicopter in Ijtema
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Bomb-like eggplant recovered at CU
- Committee formed to celebrate Bangabandhu’s centenary
- Bangladesh brace for another trail by NZ pace
- Messi is ready for Valverde
- 3 held over Eden College`s ex-principal murder
- First lady makes Valentine’s Day art with pediatric patients
- Trump to declare emergency over Mexico border wall
- Actor Farooque injured
- Mushfiqur on the verge of making double-century
- All News »
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- AL reveals 2nd phase UZ polls candidates name
- Saraswati Puja today
- IAF Chief to visit Dhaka today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- DUCSU `election schedule` today