Prevent dry skin during winter
Published: 03:15 PM, 27 December 2017 Updated: 04:54 PM, 28 December 2017
Winter brings chronic feeling in dry skin for many people. Someone feel like a reptile. Dry skin is not only uncomfortable but also it can feel you all scaly, icky and like a member of the animal kingdom!
Unfortunately, it is very common due to cold weather and low humidity and makes your skin dry as much as bandanna, mittens and hot chocolate.
But don’t worry, because it is common during the winter, not mean you have to be stuck with it forever.
Dry skin is a very common skin condition characterized by a lack of the appropriate amount of water in the most superficial layer of the skin. While dry skin tends to affect males and females equally, older individuals are typically much more prone to dry skin.
Causes of dry skin can be classified as external and internal. External factors include cold temperatures and low humidity, especially during the winter when central heaters are used. Internal factors include overall health, age, genetics, family history and a personal history of other medical conditions.
Dermatologists have begun to suspect that over-moisturizing may lead to dryness. Director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital, Joshua Zeichner said that definitive data is still lacking, but continue to make thick barrier in the skin and keep it from retaining its hydration.
Dry skin can be easily diagnosed. Medical history and review of the family history can help you to support the diagnosis of dry skin. Based on the medical history, other medical conditions may be ruled out or considered. In more difficult cases, a skin biopsy may be helpful to confirm the diagnosis and direct the treatment plan.
Here are some tips to solve your dry skin problem and we hope that it will help you to prevent your dry skin problem.
Minimize your showers
The imperative activity which affects your skin dryness is shower. Many people love to take a long, hot shower after a hectic day, but experts say this habit can harm your skin’s natural barrier.
Showers should not last more than 10 minutes. Dermatologists recommend keeping the temperature at around 84 degrees, or what you’d feel in a heated pool.
Be cautious to use dry skin products
The products you use on your skin can also have effects. Traditional soaps can disrupt your skin’s acidic surface which contributes to drying it out. To avoid this, try using a fumigant to match your body’s foliationacidic nature which will get rid of dirt without vexing your skin. Scrub products are also very useful for your skin.
Once you’ve taken your shower or washed your face, then it’s time to moisturize. Make sure to neat skin dry instead of rubbing it with a towel. Then apply lotion in the skin.
But the question is what kind of moisturizer to use? According to dermatologists if you use thicker ointments and creams with high oil contents are the best for your winter skin.
Apply lip balm
Choose a lip balm that feels good on your lips. If your lips tingle after you apply the balm, it switches to one that does not cause this reaction.
Choose soft clothes
When your skin is dry and raw, even clothes and laundry detergent can be vexatious. To avoid this wear cotton or silk under your clothing made of wool or another material that feels rough and use laundry detergent labeled as hypoallergenic.
Visiting a dermatologist
If these tips do not solve your dry skin problem, you may need to visit a dermatologist. A dermatologist can examine your skin and explain what can help to reduce your discomfort.
- MP’s son hospitalised after drinking ‘Harpic’
- Paoli Dam in ‘Mahanayika’s role
- Man sentenced to 8 months in jail for killing dog
- Students’ love for Bangabandhu
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
- Badda lynching case: Probe report Feb 20
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- 48 held in anti-narcotics drive in capital
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
- Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
- Bone-chilling cold in Kurigram, mercury falls to 7.2°C
- Rohingya Genocide: ICJ to announce verdict tomorrow
- Death toll hits 9 with 440 coronavirus cases: China
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhia fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona to face Ibiza tonight
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- 2 held over ‘rape’ of girl in N’ganj
- Srijit was hot-headed before marriage: Raima
- Ishita sings with son
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- China’s new virus likely to spread around
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Arrest warrant against Prothom Alo Editor