President calls Sheikh Hasina to form government
Published: 06:44 PM, 3 January 2019 Updated: 07:43 PM, 3 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
President M Abdul Hamid has called Awami League (AL) President Sheikh Hasina for the formation of the government as the AL members got the majority for the 11th National Parliament.
Awami League president and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina went to meet President M Abdul Hamid at Bangabhaban on Thursday at 4:30 pm.
Press wing of the President’s Office confirmed this information.
Earlier, The newly-elected lawmakers to the parliament were sworn in on Thursday. The oath-taking ceremony was held at 11:10 am.
Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury conducted the oath at the 'Oath Room' in the parliament building. The outgoing Speaker first took oath herself as an MP and then administered the oath to other AL MPs at the Oath Room of the Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban.
Earlier on Wednesday, the election commission (EC) has published the Gazette containing the names and addresses of candidates of 298 constituencies. On the same day, the Gazette had been sent to JS Secretariat.
The polling was held between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm peacefully amid a festivity in 299 seats out of total 300 on Sunday last as voting in Gaibandha-3 constituency was suspended due to death of a candidate earlier.
However, the results of Brahmanbaria-2 constituency was postponed as voting in three centers of the constituency was suspended.
According to the results of the poll, Awami League bagged 259 seats, HM Ershad-led Jatiya Party secured 20 seats while BNP got just five seats.
Workers Party bagged three seats while Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal two seats, Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh two seats and Tariqat Federation one seat.
Gonoforum bagged two seats while Manju-led Jatiya Party (JP) one seat and independent candidates got three seats.
- ‘Bamboo’ in Rail Bridge
- Rifat died of six deep wounds: physician
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage