President asks EC to consider enrolling expatriates as voters
Published: 07:19 PM, 1 March 2019 Updated: 09:22 PM, 1 March 2019
President Mohammad Abdul Hamid today asked Election Commission (EC) to consider enlisting Bangladeshi expatriates in the voter list so that they can cast their votes in any election.
“Consider voting rights of the expatriate Bangladeshis… Take necessary steps so that they can get national identity (NID) cards,” the President said while addressing a function at the Election Commission auditorium at Agargaon here on the occasion of “National Voters’ Day”.
Noting that about one crore people are working abroad and most of them have no NID cards, he pointed out that it (NID) would help the expatriates to get different state facilities, including citizenships in foreign countries.
“The question of voting rights for Bangladeshis, now staying abroad, is getting vigorous . . . Expatriate citizens of 120 countries, including USA, Indonesia and Philippines, are exercising their voting rights,” the President mentioned.
The head of the state sought help of the local representatives, journalists, teachers, civil society members, imams of mosques and imminent personalities in the society to gear up the voter enlistment process.
The EC should continue updating the voter list all the year round and take special programmes in this connection for the people of remote, coastal and hilly areas, Abdul Hamid suggested.
“NID Database has become one of the programmes under the ‘Digital Bangladesh’ platform at present,” the President stated.
He lauded different ICT-based initiatives of the EC to ease and modernize its functions, including biometric features and NID database system as the EC’s digitized process is helping scrutinizing the real citizens.
This NID database system is now helping to provide salaries of government’s employees, and pensions, different works under social safety net coverage like allowances for freedom fighters, elderly people and widows, he mentioned.
“I’m very glad to know that Bangladesh is still among the top-ranking countries in the South-East Asia in term of using Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in polls here,” he added.
President Hamid also put emphasis on creating awareness among the voters, saying, “The election will be fairer, the voters will be more aware of their rights.”
Referring to the need of efficient leadership from the grassroots to the national level, the President said there is no alternative to efficient and qualified leadership for development and election is a very acceptable system in this regard.
President Hamid urged all, irrespective of party affiliations and opinions, to extend their hands of cooperation to the EC for holding free, fair and creditable elections which is the key assignment of the EC as part of the constitutional obligation.
The National Voters’ Day is being observed for the first time here with the theme “Will be Voter, Will Vote”, he said, hoping that all political parties and socio-cultural organizations would work together to materialize the objective of the day.
“Instead of political blame game, a political culture of peace, amity, empathy and tolerance will be established in society. . . Democracy and development will reach the desired position subsequently,” the President hoped.
Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Anisul Huq, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda, EC Commissioners Mahbub Talukder, Md Rafiqul Islam, Kobita Khanam and Brigadier General (Retd) Shahadat Hossain Chowdhury, EC Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed and secretaries concerned to the President, among others, were present.
- Kurigram Freedom Day tomorrow
- Storm over new black hole issue
- China to invest $9.11m in Adamjee EPZ
- Portugal resists US appeal to bar Huawei from 5G network bid
- Anyone can donate kidney on humanitarian ground: HC
- Gazipur spinning mill fire doused
- ICAB arranges programme on business leadership
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- House will draft Trump impeachment articles, Pelosi says
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- DMP detained 49 in anti-narcotics drive
- ‘Government will take legal action against chaos in court’
- 9 killed in India’s Madhya Pradesh
- College girl dies in Gazipur train accident
- ACC recovers 125 sacks of rice in Cumilla
- E-Passport to be introduced on Dec 15: Momen
- 50 Yrs of naming ‘Bangladesh`
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter to douse
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight