President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
Published: 09:03 AM, 21 February 2020 Updated: 04:36 PM, 21 February 2020
President Md. Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid their respects to the language martyrs by standing silently at the central Shaheed Minar in Dhaka on the first hour of Ekushey on the occasion of the Great Martyrs` Day and International Mother Language Day. -PID
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have paid their rich tributes to the martyrs of the historic Language Movement on the occasion of Amar Ekushey and the International Mother Language Day.
They paid the homage by placing wreaths at the Central Shaheed Minar here at one minute past midnight tonight.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina arrived at the Shaheed Minar six minutes before the clock struck 12 midnight, while President Abdul Hamid reached the Central Shaheed Minar three minutes before the zero hour.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina proceeded to the altar of the Central Shaheed Minar together in slow pace as the immortal song on Amar Ekushey–“Amar Bhaiyer Rakte Rangano Ekushey February”– was playing.
The President was the first to lay the wreath at the Central Shaheed Minar. Just after the President, the Prime Minister placed the wreath at the Shaheed Minar.
They stood in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memories of the Language Heroes.
Ministers, advisers to the Prime Minister, parliament members, chiefs of three armed forces, senior Awami League leaders, freedom fighters, foreign diplomats, high civil and military officials were present on the occasion.
Flanked by cabinet members and senior leaders of the party, Sheikh Hasina, also the President of Bangladesh Awami League, later placed another wreath at the Shaheed Minar on behalf of the party.
Later, Jatiya Sangsad Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury and Deputy Speaker Fazley Rabbi Mia placed wreaths at the Central Shaheed Minar.
Leader of the Opposition in Parliament Begum Raushan Ershad also placed a wreath at the Shaheed Minar.
Later, Dhaka South City Corporation Mayor Sayeed Khokan and Panel Mayor of Dhaka North City Corporation Jamal Mostafa, the chiefs of three armed services, the inspector general of police, the ambassadors and high commissioners of different countries and the heads of international organisations placed wreaths at the Shaheed Minar.
On arrival at the Shaheed Minar, the President was received by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Vice-Chancellor of Dhaka University Professor Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman.
- ‘YFSA’ stands beside 200 families
- Coronavirus death toll surging to .10 million
- Medical aid in hilly areas by Air Force’s helicopter
- EU could fail to coronavirus
- Coronavirus isolation unit at Titumir College
- Coast Guard DDG promoted to rear admiral
- 244 Bangladeshis infected with Coronavirus in Singapore
- 286 sailors of US warship detected coronavirus
- Two more infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Drug dealer detained with 78-kg marijuana
- President calls for prayer at home on night of Shab-e-Barat
- Food distributed among 800 families in Nandail
- Measures to do at hospital to refrain from COVID-19
- PM urges everyone to devote with teachings of Shab-e-Barat
- Barricades on roads in Kotalipara
- People rushing to banks for withdrawing money
- DNCC opens hotline for relief
- CMP monitors home quarantine through mobile app
- 5 rounds of rocket attacks at US base in Afghanistan
- BB reschedule transactions time
- Locals lock down Munshefpara
- Govt to provide all supports for protein production
- NY man contracting corona while buying toothpaste after 12 days of quarantine
- Teenager dies with cold, cough in Ctg
- Young doctors must come forward to tackle corona: DGHS
- Coronavirus claims over 89,000 lives; 1.5 million infected
- Housewife beaten to death in Bogura
- 12kg marijuana recovered in Satkhira
- Bangladesh`s home series against Australia postponed
- Bangladeshis stranded abroad to be brought back: A. Momen
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Army to go tough from today
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- China to ban eating cats and dogs