President Abdul Hamid`s birth anniversary today
Published: 03:02 PM, 1 January 2018 Updated: 09:30 PM, 3 January 2018
President Mohammad Abdul Hamid`s 74th birth anniversary today. He will celebrate the birth anniversary of cutting a cake with family members at Bangabhaban.
Hamid was born in Kamalpur village, Mithamain Upazila under Kishoreganj District on 1st January in 1944. His birthday will celebrate not only in Bangabhabn but also in Kishoreganj.
Abdul Hamid was elected MP from Kishoreganj seven times. Therefore, there is no end to gratitude towards people of Kishoreganj. On the eve of the birthday celebration, he again said the word.
The President said Kishoreganj`s people made me the leader. Because of them today I am president of the country. Thanking and welcoming the entire nation including the Jailbasi.
Hamid joined Chhatra league in 1959 whilst a student in Kishoreganj, as the vice-president of Gurudayal Government College. He was also elected the vice-president of Chhatra League of Mymensingh District Unit in 1966–67.At the end of 1969, he joined the Awami League.
In the 1970 Pakistan general election, Hamid was elected as the Member of Parliament for Mymensingh-18 constituency; he was the youngest person elected. In the general elections of 1973, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001 and 2009 he was elected as Member of Parliament for Kishoregonj-5 constituency as a nominee of the Awami League.
He was the Deputy Speaker of the National Parliament of Bangladesh when an Awami League government was in office from 1996 to 2001. In 2001, he was appointed as the deputy leader of the opposition party at the National Assembly, replacing Shashi Kumar Gupta. On 25 January 2009, he became the Speaker of the National Parliament.
For his contribution to the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, he was awarded the Independence Day Award in 2013.
Abdul Hamid also appointed the Acting president of Bangladesh on 14 March in 2013. While president Zillur Rahman was in a hospital in Singapore. Zillur Rahman died six days later. Later he was elected unopposed president on 22 April in 2013.
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- Probe report against 15 M’singh razakars released
- Another dengue patient die in Dhaka
- 3 cricketers injured in collision with bus in Savar
- Imam’s slit-throat body found in Mosque
- PM opens ‘Gangchil’
- Nepal bans single use plastics on Everest region
- 3 killed as two buses collide in Thakurgaon
- Another man dies of dengue in Barishal
- 3 HC justices ‘barred from performing duties’
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter