President Abdul Hamid`s birth anniversary today
Published: 03:02 PM, 1 January 2018 Updated: 09:30 PM, 3 January 2018
President Mohammad Abdul Hamid`s 74th birth anniversary today. He will celebrate the birth anniversary of cutting a cake with family members at Bangabhaban.
Hamid was born in Kamalpur village, Mithamain Upazila under Kishoreganj District on 1st January in 1944. His birthday will celebrate not only in Bangabhabn but also in Kishoreganj.
Abdul Hamid was elected MP from Kishoreganj seven times. Therefore, there is no end to gratitude towards people of Kishoreganj. On the eve of the birthday celebration, he again said the word.
The President said Kishoreganj`s people made me the leader. Because of them today I am president of the country. Thanking and welcoming the entire nation including the Jailbasi.
Hamid joined Chhatra league in 1959 whilst a student in Kishoreganj, as the vice-president of Gurudayal Government College. He was also elected the vice-president of Chhatra League of Mymensingh District Unit in 1966–67.At the end of 1969, he joined the Awami League.
In the 1970 Pakistan general election, Hamid was elected as the Member of Parliament for Mymensingh-18 constituency; he was the youngest person elected. In the general elections of 1973, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001 and 2009 he was elected as Member of Parliament for Kishoregonj-5 constituency as a nominee of the Awami League.
He was the Deputy Speaker of the National Parliament of Bangladesh when an Awami League government was in office from 1996 to 2001. In 2001, he was appointed as the deputy leader of the opposition party at the National Assembly, replacing Shashi Kumar Gupta. On 25 January 2009, he became the Speaker of the National Parliament.
For his contribution to the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, he was awarded the Independence Day Award in 2013.
Abdul Hamid also appointed the Acting president of Bangladesh on 14 March in 2013. While president Zillur Rahman was in a hospital in Singapore. Zillur Rahman died six days later. Later he was elected unopposed president on 22 April in 2013.
- Made in Bangladesh’ expo in Qatar from Jan 28
- Telenor drops Huawei for Ericsson in 5G contract
- Boucher named South Africa head coach
- Queen Elizabeth looking for social media expert
- Homemade natural ‘Body Lotion’
- Sylhet Thunder’s losing streak continues in BBPL
- Six essential tips for bride
- ERC condemns Suu Kyi
- Salah double seals Liverpool win over Watford
- Zia was Moshtaque’s most trusted man: PM
- Traffic direction for Dhaka bound vehicles on Dec 16
- Razakars list to be released Sunday
- RAB-10 detained 2 with Yaba
- Security beefed up for Victory Day celebration
- Victory day traffic guidelines in capital
- Fire erupting from manhole in Dhaka
- No player will be forced to tour Pakistan: Papon
- ‘Stern curbing if chaos created for Khaleda’s bail’
- Bangladesh satisfies over Gambia’s efforts
- Three dead in Nepal bomb blast
- Navy ships to remain open for all on Victory Day
- PIB organizes dialogues on women and children
- Sabina Yasmin’s new song on Victory Day
- 2 arrested with 6 stolen CNG auto-rickshaws
- Martyr intellectuals showed us the way: Humayun
- JaPa paid homage to martyred intellectuals
- Riyad hails Shakib as a ‘player of one generation’
- China’s 5G handsets shipments top 5 mln in November
- AL pays homage to martyred intellectuals
- Saudi strives to develop secrete relations with Iran; reports WSJ
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash