President, PM mourns demise of Syed Ashraful Islam
Published: 01:56 AM, 4 January 2019 Updated: 11:38 AM, 4 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
President M Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday expressed deep shock and sorrow at the death of Public Administration Minister and Awami League presidium member Syed Ashraful Islam.
In a condolence message, the President expressed profound shock and sorrow at the death of Syed Ashraf.
He said, “His death is an irreparable loss to the country’s political arena . . . People will remember his contributions with due respect for long.”
The head of the state also conveyed deep sympathy to the bereaved family and prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday mourned at the death of Awami League Presidium Member Syed Ashraful Islam.
In a condolence message, the Prime Minister recalled with profound respect his outstanding contributions to the country’s politics.
She said, “The country and nation are now deeply shocked at the death of a politician like Syed Ashraf.”
The Premier said, “Syed Ashraf, the able son of Shaheed Syed Nazrul Islam, the acting president of Bangladesh’s first government and one of the four national leaders, was completely an honest personality, efficient organizer and a leader of the mass people.”
“The nation has lost a very honest, dedicated and courageous leader and his death is an irreparable loss to the country’s politics as well as the Awami League,” she said.
Sheikh Hasina also remembered with deep gratitude his strong role during the bad time of the 1/11. “This public leader will remain alive in the hearts of the people forever for his works,” she said.
The Premier prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family.
Syed Ashraf, son of one of the four national leaders and Bangabandhu’s close associate Syed Nazrul Islam, breathed his last at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok around 9:45 pm after battling against fatal disease lung cancer. He was 68.
He was elected MP from Kishoreganj-1 constituency in the 11th Jatiya Sangsad election on December 30.
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- Savar National Memorial prepared for 26 Mar
- Mymensingh City Corp polls May 5
- 1.35m HSC examinee this yr
- Ducsu VP, AGS’ support over job entry age extn movt
- Abahani beat Mohammedan to stay top
- Case filed over SAU`s Wasim murder
- Avijit murder case shifted to ATT for trial
- Griffith appointed Australia bowling coach
- Kamal for amplify value of harmony
- Dipu Moni calls month long ‘Coaching’ shut
- Biogas brings a better life to rural women
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies