Pope Francis compares child sex abuse to human sacrifice
Published: 05:31 PM, 24 February 2019
Pope Francis has promised concrete action to tackle child sex abuse at the end of a Roman Catholic Church summit on paedophilia.
Clergy guilty of abuse were "tools of Satan", the Pope said, pledging to face every case with "utmost seriousness".
Child sex abuse, he said, reminded him of the ancient religious practice of child sacrifice in pagan rites.
"I am reminded of the cruel religious practice, once widespread in certain cultures," he said.
In the coming weeks, the Vatican is expected to release a roadmap for handling clerical abuse allegations based on the experiences of those who have contributed to the meeting.
What else did the Pope say?
He said victims would now be the priority, and that bishops would be issued with new, clear guidelines that would force them to take action.
The pontiff also promised an end to cover-ups, and said all abusers would be brought to justice.
"No explanations suffice for these abuses involving children," he said.
"The echo of the silent cry of the little ones who, instead of finding in them fathers and spiritual guides encountered tormentors, will shake hearts dulled by hypocrisy and by power.
"It is our duty to pay close heed to this silent, choked cry," he added.
How much pressure is the Pope under?
When he was elected in 2013, he called for "decisive action" on the issue, but critics say he has not done enough to hold to account bishops who allegedly covered up abuse.
Thousands of people are thought to have been abused by priests over many decades, and the Church has been accused of covering up crimes around the world.
Survivors say new safeguarding protocols are needed to protect minors.
The unprecedented conference - called Protection of Minors in the Church - was attended by the heads of all national bishops' conferences from more than 130 countries.
Pope Francis is under serious pressure to provide leadership and generate workable solutions to what is the most pressing crisis facing the modern Church - one which some say has left its moral authority in tatters.
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat