Pompeo confirmed as Trump`s 2nd secretary of state
Published: 11:15 AM, 27 April 2018
Former CIA director Mike Pompeo was sworn in as the 70th US secretary of state Thursday, after the US Senate voted to confirm him, ending a tough confirmation battle.
Pompeo had been accused by Democrats of being a war hawk and harbouring anti-Muslim and homophobic views.
The Senate voted 57-42 to approve him as America`s top diplomat, the second of the Trump presidency, at a time when several high stakes negotiations are underway around the globe.
His predecessor, Rex Tillerson, was sacked last month by the president via Twitter amid a personality clash.
Republican senators, who control the upper chamber, voted unanimously on Thursday to confirm Pompeo. Six Democrats joined them.
Some of those Democrats, including North Dakota`s Heidi Heitkamp and West Virginia`s Joe Manchin, come from states that President Donald Trump won in 2016.
The approval comes in time for Pompeo, a former hardline conservative congressman from Kansas, to lead a US delegation to Nato foreign minister talks in Brussels this weekend.
In a statement, Trump applauded his new secretary of state as someone who "will always put the interests of America first".
"Having a patriot of Mike`s immense talent, energy, and intellect leading the Department of State will be an incredible asset for our country at this critical time in history," he added.
Pompeo has been arranging a summit between Trump and North Korea`s leader Kim Jong-un. The meeting could happen in the coming months.
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5