Pompeo confirmed as Trump`s 2nd secretary of state
Published: 11:15 AM, 27 April 2018
Former CIA director Mike Pompeo was sworn in as the 70th US secretary of state Thursday, after the US Senate voted to confirm him, ending a tough confirmation battle.
Pompeo had been accused by Democrats of being a war hawk and harbouring anti-Muslim and homophobic views.
The Senate voted 57-42 to approve him as America`s top diplomat, the second of the Trump presidency, at a time when several high stakes negotiations are underway around the globe.
His predecessor, Rex Tillerson, was sacked last month by the president via Twitter amid a personality clash.
Republican senators, who control the upper chamber, voted unanimously on Thursday to confirm Pompeo. Six Democrats joined them.
Some of those Democrats, including North Dakota`s Heidi Heitkamp and West Virginia`s Joe Manchin, come from states that President Donald Trump won in 2016.
The approval comes in time for Pompeo, a former hardline conservative congressman from Kansas, to lead a US delegation to Nato foreign minister talks in Brussels this weekend.
In a statement, Trump applauded his new secretary of state as someone who "will always put the interests of America first".
"Having a patriot of Mike`s immense talent, energy, and intellect leading the Department of State will be an incredible asset for our country at this critical time in history," he added.
Pompeo has been arranging a summit between Trump and North Korea`s leader Kim Jong-un. The meeting could happen in the coming months.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today