Police officers among 8 killed in Kenya bus attack
Published: 02:53 PM, 7 December 2019
At least eight people including several police officers were killed in an attack on a bus in northeast Kenya believed to have been staged by the Somali Islamist Shebaab group on Friday evening.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta had been briefed on the “brutal” murders of eight people, including police, during the jihadist attack in Wajir county, a presidential spokesperson said in a statement on Saturday.
“We lost seven police officers in the bus attack,” a senior police source told AFP. “The total number of people killed are 10. One was identified as a local doctor,” the source said.
A police statement released Friday evening gave no casualty toll, just noting the bus, which linked the towns of Wajir and Mandera, came under attack about 17:30 local time (1430 GMT).
“Security forces are pursuing the killers,” the state house spokesperson said, adding, “the government will not relent in its ruthless crackdown on criminal elements including suspected terrorists”.
The area where the attack took place borders Somalia, which is regularly the scene of Shebaab raids.
One June 15, at least eight police officers were killed in similar circumstances in Wajir county.
Home-made weapons and bombs have been used to kill dozens of police and soldiers in the northern and eastern border regions, where such attacks are relatively common.
The Al-Qaeda affiliate Shebaab has been fighting for more than a decade to overthrow successive internationally-backed Somali governments and has previously resorted to direct attacks on road vehicles.
A regional peacekeeping force in Somalia, AMISOM, which chased Shebaab out of the Somali capital Mogadishu in 2011, includes troops from a number of African nations including Kenya, making police and troops from the country a target for the jihadists.
- Four poppy fields destroyed in Bandarban
- Sportsman of the year Ruman Sana, Cricketer Shakib
- Continuity of government made Bangladesh’s uplift visible: PM
- Jr Tigers becomes ‘C’ group champion
- Volleyball tournament in Sherpur on Mujib Year
- Trump to sign US-Mexico-Canada trade deal
- China shut down 13 cities as virus toll climbs
- Thai Exim Bank, JBIC keen to invest Bangladesh sugar mills
- Main accused of Sabujbagh child-rape case arrested
- What Mahmudullah said after losing to Pakistan
- UK welcomes ICJ ruling, asks Myanmar to comply
- ‘Dwitiyo Purush’ expected to release in Bangladesh
- ‘Occupied playground will be restored’
- Technical education to be compulsory
- Woman dies wrapping warm-clothes with auto
- ICJ’s verdict important: Nasima Begum
- `Steps will be taken to increase onion production`
- Merchant killed in Bogura, 1 arrested
- Cricket tournament in Meherpur on Mujib Year
- Elderly Body found in Sylhet
- Mimi got stuck in oil ad
- USA crackdown visas for pregnant foreigners
- 3 drug dealers fined in Mujibnagar
- Man dies fallen from petrol pump roof in Ashulia
- Bangladesh starts Pakistan tour with loss
- BNP, the worst opposition party: Quader
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- DU to host special convocation for Bangabandhu Sep 5
- Katrina, Vicky chill together
- Anti-US demonstration protest in Iraq
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- E-passport to be launched today
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack