Poet Shamsur Rahman’s 91st birth anniversary today
Published: 11:49 AM, 23 October 2019 Updated: 02:09 PM, 23 October 2019
Poet Shamsur Rahman
The 91st birth anniversary of renowned Poet Shamsur Rahman is being observed on Wednesday in a befitting manner across the country. Regarded as a symbol of aesthetics for his lifestyle, gestures and works Shamsur Rahman was born in the old part of Dhaka on October 23 in 1929 and died on August 17, 2006.
His poems largely feature the struggle of the country’s people for independence and Liberation War.
‘Barnomala Amar Dukhini Barnomala’, ‘Asader Shirt’, ‘Tomake Pawar Jonno Hey Swadhinata’ and ‘Udbhat Uter Pithe Cholechhe Swadesh’ are some his works depicting various aspects of national transitions at different times.
The number of books by poet Shamsur Rahman which were published in his lifetime is 112, including four novels, 67 of poems, one of short story, two of child literature and six translations.
He made his professional debut as a journalist of the daily Morning Sun in 1957 and later he worked for Dainik Bangla, where he also served as its chief editor. He also was the editor of Bangladesh Times and Weekly Bichitra. In addition, the poet edited several literary journals.
For contributing to literature, he received numerous awards including Bangla Academy Literary Award, Adamjee Literary Award, Ekushey Padak, and The Ananda Puraskar from Calcutta.
On the occasion, different socio-cultural organizations including Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy have drawn up elaborate programmes.
Bangla Academy, Jatiya Kabita Parishad, Shamsur Rahman Smrity Parishad are jointly organising a commemorative event at 5:00 pm at Rabindra Chattar of Bangla Academy in the capital. The event will feature discussion, poetry recitation and cultural programme with Bangla Academy President and National professor Anisuzzaman in the chair.
- BUET expels 26 students over Abrar murder
- UK Labour makes radical election pitch
- `Humble` Mourinho not planning on big changes at Spurs
- Another cargo flight with 105 mts Egyptian onion lands
- Israel PM Netanyahu charged with corruption
- Event Flow of Kolkata Test
- Nasim asks party men to make AL council success
- President condoles death of Katiadi AL leader Golap Mia
- Tennis Federation GS Golam Morshed fired
- 41st Cairo int`l film gala kicks off at Egypt`s opera house
- Mithila: “There is a word called privacy”
- AI bot beats human in multiplayer game with secret roles
- Syed Rasel named Dhaka Platoon bowling coach
- Why exclusion of PEC candidates not illegal: HC
- Fielding will key point in pink-ball Test: Mominul
- Tahsan new look of Farooki’s “No Land’s Man”
- Nigerian air force destroys Boko Haram’s meeting venue
- Emerging Asia Cup Final to broadcast on TV
- Bourses bounce back
- Don’t pay heed to propaganda: PM
- Bangladesh wins 1st Gold in e-Asia Awards 2019
- Car-Free Street in Uttara!
- BNP failed to wage movement capitalizing onion issue: Quader
- Baby drown in Tangail
- Pope Francis visits Thai Buddhist temple
- Housewife commits suicide
- 22 civilians killed in Syria by Russian-backed government forces
- 89 detained in anti-drug drive in capital
- Players would focus only on cricket: Mominul
- Armed Forces Day celebrated peacefully
- All News »
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Graduation at 9!
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- International Men’s Day today
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft
- 5 dead in Bolivia clashes challenging interim govt
- 2.5-km to be visible
- Delightful 2nd day of Dhaka Int’l Folk fest today
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft this evening
- PM joins gleaming Dubai air show
- Nusrat Jahan at ICU