Plastic product manufacturers for VAT withdrawal
Published: 11:01 PM, 16 June 2019
Manufacturers of plastic goods have demanded withdrawal of value added tax (VAT) imposed on the plastic items except tiffin box and water bottle in the proposed national budget for 2019-20 fiscal year.
Bangladesh Plastic Goods Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BPGMEA) made the demand at a meeting on Sunday, saying the decision to impose 5 percent VAT on common plastic goods will hit hard the manufacturing industry.
The meeting, presided over by BPGMEA president Jasim Uddin, said it is not possible to apply VAT on the vendors of plastic goods who sell essential plastic items like plastic plate, mug, jug, dish, bucket and cover at villages through door-to-door visit.
“Currently, about 200 local small and medium enterprises are involved in the production and sales of plastic goods while over 5 lakh people are working in the sector to make their earnings,” the meeting said.
It claimed that a major portion of these people are retail vendors who are solely dependent on this sector. They sell plastic goods in exchange for old things, the BPGMEA said. “Following the imposition of VAT, the price of plastic goods will go up and it’ll directly affect the common consumers,” it added.
The BPGMEA expressed grave concern over the government’s plan to borrow some Tk 47,364 crore from the banking system, saying this will aggravate the liquidity crisis in the banking sector for which the interest on loan will soar and private sector credit will not be able to avail the bank credit. “As a result, the private investment will be affected,” it added.
- Malinga set to retire after 1st Bangladesh ODI
- Mithun, Mushfiqur star as Bangladesh win warm-up
- Quader orders to repair flood-hit roads before Eid
- Blackout forced 4m Venezuelan to leave country
- Renu`s brother heartbreaking status
- Boris Johnson to be next UK PM
- Chairmanship odds in JP: Rowshan`s ambiguous state
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Humanity for animal !
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case