Pilkhana carnage day today
Published: 09:59 AM, 25 February 2020 Updated: 10:10 AM, 25 February 2020
Today is 25th February, one of the most mourning days of the post-liberation-war Bangladesh. The Pilkhana Rebellion and carnage, the scandalous incident of the history of the country took place on this 11 years ago when many children lost their fathers, parents lost their children, and the nation, as well as the country, lost its golden soldiers, the worthiest part.
On the occasion of the day, the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, the Prime Minister, the Home Minister, the three army chiefs (collectively), senior secretaries of the Ministry of Home Affairs, and BGB Director General (DG) will pay floral tribute to the martyrs jointly.
On this day in 2009, the Bangladesh Rifles or the then BDR Jawans (now BGB) killed 74 people, including 57 army personnel, in the armed insurgency. The whole country was shocked at the brutal incident.
The incident took place on February 25, 2009, Wednesday at 9:27 am. The sound of shooting was coming from the inside. At first, many living there thought that was a regular firing line. But within a couple of hours, the insurgency was revealed.
A group of rebel soldiers entered the court while the annual meeting was ongoing at the BGB headquarters. One of them fixed at the firearm on the chest of the then BDR director-general. The rebel soldiers jumped on the army officers with firearms in the red vail. The jawans were divided into different groups and spread throughout the whole court. They killed the army personnel and left their families hostage. The rebel soldiers opened fire on the surrounding areas with four entry gates under their control and conducted the carnage.
The first team of Armed Personnel Carrier of the army arrived at Dhanmondi around 11 am that day. In the afternoon, two parliamentarians, including the then Home Minister, State Minister for Local Government, entered the Pilkhana with the flag of peace. The rebel members went to the Prime Minister's office to inform them of their demands. Some members surrendered their weapons to the Home Minister at night. Several army officers have been released from the hostage situation. The Prime Minister called on the rebel members to come out of the revolt in a speech delivered on radio and television the next night. Police entered the Pilkhana on the evening of February 27, after the rebel jawans surrendered. The bodies of the army officers and others were recovered in mass graves and scattered here and there. A bloody chapter ends after three breathtaking days.
In this carnage, 57 army officers, 1 soldier, two army officers' wives, 9 BDR members, and five civilians were killed. The organizational structure of the BDR broke down during the uprising at Pilkhana.
BDR's name, dress, logo, organizational structure, promotion, etc. were restructured. The name was changed to Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB). The BDR mutiny law was also changed keeping the death sentence as the maximum punishment for the insurgency. In the murder case filed in the mutiny, the special court sentenced 152 people to death, 160 to life and 256 were sentenced to different periods.
The government has decided to commemorate the BDR insurgency every year as 'Pilkhana Carnage Day'. Different programs have been taken to commemorate the day.
On the occasion of the day, special prayer, Khatem Quran, and Milad will be organized at 4:30 pm in all regional sectors of BGB including the Bangladesh (BGB) headquarters, BGB mosques, Institutions, and BOP levels.
- Barricades on roads in Kotalipara
- People rushing to banks for withdrawing money
- DNCC opens hotline for relief
- CMP monitors home quarantine through mobile app
- 5 rounds of rocket attacks at US base in Afghanistan
- BB reschedule transactions time
- Locals lock down Munshefpara
- Govt to provide all supports for protein production
- NY man contracting corona while buying toothpaste after 12 days of quarantine
- Teenager dies with cold, cough in Ctg
- Young doctors must come forward to tackle corona: DGHS
- Coronavirus claims over 89,000 lives; 1.5 million infected
- Housewife beaten to death in Bogura
- 12kg marijuana recovered in Satkhira
- Bangladesh`s home series against Australia postponed
- Bangladeshis stranded abroad to be brought back: A. Momen
- Sisimpur to be aired in 19 languages
- 25 reported negative in Chandpur, 12 awaiting
- BSD launches free ambulance service in Barishal
- 29 Barishal houses under lockdown
- 62 of 112 newly detected only in Dhaka: Flora
- Chandpur lockdown
- ‘2,000-bed isolation hospital being built at Bashundhara’
- Land tax deadline extended by a month
- All types of medical treatment in 69 private hospitals
- BSTI continues emergency service in COVID-19 situation
- 12 injured in Kamarkhand clash
- 34 coronavirus sample collected in Bogura 3 in isolation
- James’s Concert on Facebook
- Coronavirus cases surpass 300 in the country
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus