Photo of oil-stained Brazilian boy goes viral
Published: 11:01 AM, 26 October 2019 Updated: 11:23 AM, 26 October 2019
The image of a boy - walks ashore in Brazil in filthy waist-high water with a look of exasperation and his body smeared in oil - goes viral.
On October 21, an AFP stringer at Itapuama beach in Cabo de Santo Agostinho, in Pernambuco state, snapped the picture as the child emerged from the oil pollution that has been spreading along the coast of northeast Brazil for nearly two months.
Everton Miguel dos Anjos, 13, along with four brothers and several cousins, had joined hundreds of volunteers that day who were trying to clean the beach and scrub oil off rocks on the shore.
He waded into the water wearing a T-shirt but took it off when he saw how dirty he was getting. Then he fashioned a sort of tunic out of a plastic garbage bag.
Dos Anjos told the photographer that his mother scolded him when she saw the pictures, which were published by major news organizations around the world.
“I had asked her permission to help clean the beach and she said yes, so long as I did not get dirty,” the boy said.
Four days after the photo was taken, not much oil remained on the beach. The army had taken over the clean-up operation, and children were no longer allowed to help. Since the beginning of this spill more than 1,000 tons of oil have been recovered, according to the Brazilian navy.
The spill was first spotted on August 30 off the coast of northeast Paraiba state, and it has now spread along 2,250 kilometers (1,400 miles) of coast, soiling beautiful beaches in a poor region heavily dependent on tourism. Some 200 towns have been hurt.
Environmental groups have complained that the government was slow to respond to the crisis and failed to provide proper resources for tackling what many specialists called the worst environmental disaster ever to hit northeast Brazil.
- UNO’s ‘calling bell’ service for elderly, disabled
- Delhi factory fire: Owner, manager detain
- 2 SSC examinees killed in Jamalpur road crash
- Rule seeks to demolish illegal structures in Cox’s Bazar beach
- 8 Afghan soldiers killed in suicide car bombing
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- DU’s 52nd convocation begins
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky
- Suma, Sohel, Eti, Roman win gold in archery
- Sanna Marin, world’s youngest-serving PM
- E-passport this month
- DUCSU’s first book fair Tuesday
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Begum Rokeya Day today
- Helper killed after being hit by covered van
- Pedestrian killed in Bogura road crash
- Tourists stranded as storms batter New Zealand
- International Anti-Corruption Day today
- ‘100 people near New Zealand volcano when it erupted’
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 16 killed in Uganda landslides
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Motorcycle-auto collision kills 2 in M’singh
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- SpaceX delivers `mighty mice,` worms, robot to space station
- BBPL inaugurated with huge enthusiasm and fanfare
- Unidentified child killed in Capital train-crash
- Remove Mithila, Fahmi’s personal photos from online platforms: HC
- 431 IU ‘B’ unit seats remain vacant
- Dengue rules Lakmal out of Pakistan Tests
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Remittance inflow increases by 31.75pc in November
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- 629 Pakistani girls sold to China
- 24 killed as bus plunges off cliff in Tunisia
- Nepal`s mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry
- WASA’s water pure such claim untrue: Expert Committee
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer