Philippine President ‘jokes’ about cannabis use
Published: 07:09 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 07:09 PM, 4 December 2018
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, whose controversial war on drugs has cost thousands of lives, says he uses marijuana to keep awake at long regional meetings, but later disavowed his assertion as a joke.
Speaking at a ceremony at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Duterte addressed claims that during the recent ASEAN summit in Singapore he had missed several key meetings in order to take power naps.
Duterte described lengthy international meetings he had to attend as president as a “killing activity” and bemoaned that the reading and preparation often kept him up late into the night.
“But at my age, I am not really bothered because I take marijuana to stay awake,” he told the crowd, who laughed in response.
Speaking later in the day, Duterte, known for his brash style, brushed aside allegations he had caused offense with his marijuana comment.
“It was a joke, of course, it was a joke, but nobody can stop me from just doing my style,” he said, adding that anybody who took it seriously was “stupid”.
However, the joke was not taken lightly by many in the Philippines where possession of marijuana carries a lengthy prison sentence.
It also came just days after three police officers were each sentenced to 40 years for the killing of 17-year-old Kian Loyd Delos Santos, who had been incorrectly identified as a drug dealer.
It was the first conviction in Duterte’s brutal war on drugs, which has killed upwards of 5,000 people – mostly the urban poor and even prompted a preliminary investigation by the international criminal court for crimes against humanity.
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Heart health: Love one you`re with
- Conduct leastwise two cases free: CJ
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- PM joins Munich Security Conference
- India warns Pakistan of `strong response`
- Trump to spend $8B for Mexico wall
- Haiti president breaks silence finally
- ‘Fagun Haway’ draws huge acclamation
- UN sought $920m for Rohingya
- Motorcyclist killed in Nanglokote road crash
- 78th birthday of Dr Wazed tomorrow
- Myanmar court sentences two to death for Muslim lawyer`s murder
- Dhaka for OIC help on Rohingya issue
- PM seeks more WHO engagement
- Facebook taps user data to defend workers from threat
- Farmers dream in coriander
- Barca extent Valverde contract until 2020
- Tea output increases 57 pc in northern districts
- Allama Shafi with helicopter in Ijtema
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Bomb-like eggplant recovered at CU
- Committee formed to celebrate Bangabandhu’s centenary
- Bangladesh brace for another trail by NZ pace
- Messi is ready for Valverde
- 3 held over Eden College`s ex-principal murder
- First lady makes Valentine’s Day art with pediatric patients
- Trump to declare emergency over Mexico border wall
- Actor Farooque injured
- Mushfiqur on the verge of making double-century
- All News »
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- AL reveals 2nd phase UZ polls candidates name
- Saraswati Puja today
- IAF Chief to visit Dhaka today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- DUCSU `election schedule` today