Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
Nasrul Hamid dashes to spot by helicopter
Published: 05:06 PM, 19 June 2019
Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant. File photo
A Chinese worker, who was injured in a clash over the death of a worker at Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant in Kalapara upazila on Tuesday, died at Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital on Wednesday.
The deceased was identified as Jung Yung Sung, an employee of the power plant.
Factory workers said Sabindra Das, 32, son of Nagendra Das of Nabiganj upazila in Habiganj district, was killed as he fell into the boiler machine of the plant on Tuesday afternoon.
As the news spread around, Bangladeshi workers of the plant burst into anger and vandalized its office, canteen and training center inside the power plant.
They also confined the employees and staff of Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL) and 3000 Chinese workers to the power plant for eight hours from 3pm on Tuesday, said Shahmoni Ziko, an administrative officer of BCPCL.
Six Chinese workers who suffered injuries during the unrest were sent to Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital where Chinese worker Jung Young succumbed to his injuries around 10 am on Wednesday, said Dr Bakir Hossain, a physician of the hospital.
Manirul Islam, officer-in-charge of Kalapara Police Station, said police on information went to the spot and brought the situation under control.
Matiul Islam Chowdhury, deputy commissioner of Patuakhali, said necessary steps were taken in this regard.
State Minister for Power Nasrul Hamid reached Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant site by a helicopter on Wednesday morning.
A tense situation was prevailing in the area following the incident. Members of Rapid Action Battalion have been deployed in the area to avert further trouble.
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- A woman: Dancer to detective
- Humayun Ahmed`s 7th death anniv today
- Bernard topped Bill Gates on Rich List
- ICC debarred Zimbabwe
- PM flies to London
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM flies to London tomorrow
- DC conference: Vast responsibility, directives
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- HC’s directive to dispose woman, child repression case in 180 day
- Navy got ‘National Fisheries Award’19 Gold medal
- Boat hats in Manikganj
- 8000 cattle ready for Qurbani market
- Shakib in Cricinfo’s XI; not Kohli
- Beauty of Tanguar Haor in Monsoon
- Illegal expats to return home paying TK 14 thou
- Two sisters drowned in Tangail
- UN chief concerns over Rohingya crisis
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death