Paris attack suspect jailed in Belgium
Published: 05:40 PM, 23 April 2018
Salah Abdeslam, the sole surviving suspect from the 2015 Paris attacks; Pic: Collected
The sole surviving suspect from the 2015 Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam has been jailed for 20 years in Belgium over a gunfight that led to his arrest.
Salah Abdeslam, 28, and co-defendant Sofien Ayari, 24, were both convicted of terror-related charges of attempted murder and given a 20-years of jail sentence as they both fired on officers who raided a flat in Brussels in 2016.
He is being held in a jail in France and is due to face trial there over the Paris attacks themselves. But he had refused to answer questions from the judge in the trial in Brussels and eventually refused to attend the hearings.
Neither he nor Ayari, 24, was in court as the verdict was read out on Monday. Both received the maximum 20-year term requested by prosecutors.
The judge, Marie France Keutgen, said that there can be no doubt about the two men`s involvement with radicalism.
She added their intention is clear from the nature of the weapons they used, the number of bullets they fired and the nature of the police officers` wounds. Only the officers` professional response prevented it being worse.
It is noted that Belgian police carried out a raid to hunt Abdeslam in the Forest area of Brussels on March 15, 2016. Media caption Damian Grammaticas reports from the scene of the raid.
When they moved in they exchanged fire with the three occupants. One of the three was killed and three officers were wounded.
Abdeslam and Ayari managed to escape, but Abdeslam`s fingerprints were found in the flat, confirming his presence there. He was picked up days later in a raid in the nearby Molenbeek area and later transferred to France.
Salah Abdeslam is believed to have played a key role on 13 November 2015 when militants targeted a concert hall, stadium, restaurants and bars, killing 130 people and injuring hundreds more.
French prosecutors believe Abdeslam helped the jihadists by hiring cars, flats and hotel rooms although his role in the actual shootings and bombings is unclear.
French and Belgian authorities released Abdeslam`s photo and name a day later by which time he was one of Europe`s top fugitives.
Several flats were raided by Belgian police over the next few months. He was finally picked up on 18 March 2016.-BBC
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia