Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
Published: 10:20 AM, 27 May 2019 Updated: 11:17 AM, 28 May 2019
Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O`Neill
Peter O’Neill, the prime minister of Papua New Guinea, has resigned following a series of high-level defections from his government to the opposition.
O'Neill, who has been in office for seven years, has faced calls for his resignation for weeks over a range of issues. But after several more defections on Friday, he accepted he did not have the support to continue.
O'Neill, 54, told a news conference in capital Port Moresby that he would hand over office to former PM Sir Julius Chan.
"It is important that we maintain a certain amount of stability. We have heard the calls and we have agreed for a change of government," he said.
Sir Julius said he wanted a smooth transition to ensure stability in the South Pacific nation of 7.3 million people.
"I want to thank Prime Minister Peter O'Neill for all that he has done to bring this country (to where it is) today," he told journalists.
"We are not just going to be a caretaker government, we will work. I don't intend to be a lame duck. We will move this country forward."
However, the opposition said it had the support of enough MPs to form a new government.
In neighbouring Australia, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he looked forward to working with Sir Julius "in the same way I have enjoyed such a strong friendship and relationship with Peter O'Neill".
"PNG is our closest friend and neighbour, there is just a small body of water between us," he told journalists in Canberra.
O'Neill has been under pressure over a range of issues, including a multi-billion-dollar gas project signed earlier this year with French company Total and the US firm ExxonMobil.
Although the project would almost double PNG's gas exports, local communities have raised fears that they would be excluded from the benefits.
PNG has rich reserves of copper, gold, and oil, but development has been hampered by public order issues, rugged terrain and disputes over land.
- DU students block Shahabagh again
- 24 dead in arson attack at Japan studio
- GM Quader appointed JaPa chairman
- Rocky passed HSC by writing with wrist
- We want to grab 1st place in producing fish: PM
- Flood in Assam, death toll rises to 27
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra
- Third prime accused Rishan Farazi held
- Hearing on writ challenges rickshaw ban today
- Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- PM inaugurates ‘National Fisheries Week-2019’
- Water level of Jamuna rises, 50 villages flooded
- Elon Musk wants to merge human brains with AI
- New EvilGnome Backdoor Spies on Linux Users, Steals Their Files
- Message in a bottle written 50 yrs ago found in Australia
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Old Dhaka building collapse: Father-Son’s bodies recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- England face Australia in high-voltage semis today