Palak urges UK to invest in IT sector
Published: 10:15 PM, 5 February 2020
State Minister for ICT Zunaid Ahmed Palak invited entrepreneurs of the United Kingdom to take advantage of Bangladesh’s thriving IT sector.
“Over the past decade, Bangladesh transformed from a least developed country to a middle-income state through leveraging power of ICT, and this shift has been possible because of strong leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her ICT Affairs Adviser Sajeeb Wazed Joy,” he said at a high-profile investment seminar at British Parliament in London on Monday.
Bangladesh High Commission, London organised the seminar to showcase the tremendous opportunities that the Bangladesh IT sector offers to the foreign investors, said release received here today.
Bangladesh High Commissioner for the United Kingdom and Ireland gave the welcome speech at the seminar titled “Investing in Digital Bangladesh: Fintech to Hitech”.
UK Minister for the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Matt Warman, Lord Ranbir Singh Suri, Lord David Howell, Lord Jitesh Gadiha, Valerie Vaz, MP, Stephen Metcalfe, MP, Stephen Timms, MP, attended the seminar.
Academics and eminent personalities from Bangladeshi-British Diaspora along with around 150 British and Bangladeshi-British entrepreneurs participated in it while many of them also took part in lively discussions.
They also expressed their keen interest in investing in Bangladesh IT sector.
Palak gave a brief on the significant progress that the government brought in the ICT sector in the past one decade aiming to establish Digital Bangladesh by 2021, make the ICT a $5-billion industry by 2025 and transform Bangladesh’s economy from labour base to knowledge base by 2041.
“This year, we have declared a Bangabandhu Innovation Grant to
commemorate 100th birth anniversary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, to fund 100 startups, both local and global,” he said.
The state minister also invited the UK entrepreneurs to participate in the Digital World in December 2020 and the World Congress in IT in 2021 to see the success of Digital Bangladesh.
High Commissioner Saida Muna Tasneem said Bangladesh mission in London has taken initiatives to increase export of IT and IT-enabled services (ITs) to the United Kingdom which is now only 16 per cent.
“We want to double our market share in the UK, which will transform Bangladesh-UK bilateral relations to a knowledge-based partnership,” she added.
Saida encouraged Bangladeshi-British young entrepreneurs to submit innovation startup proposals for the Bangabandhu Startup Innovation Grant.
Managing Director of Bangladesh Hitech Park Authority Hosne Ara Begum and Chairman of Asian Tiger Capital Ifty Islam also spoke in the seminar, among others.
Two documentaries on development and opportunities of Bangladesh’s ICT sector were also screened. Policy Advisor of Leveraging ICT for the Employment and Growth of the IT-ITES Industry Sami Ahmed moderated the seminar.
- 60,000 Gazipur families get 15-day food
- 190 at home quarantine, 10 released
- Free medical campaign by doctor couple in Shariatpur
- Tabligh Jamaat Amir Maulana Saad infected with coronavirus!
- 7 doctors to provide 24-hour online medical service
- Food aid for poor in Rupganj
- Rice selling at Tk 10 starts Sunday
- 24 hrs curfew issued in Mecca-Medina
- News of ‘exempting home rent’ is rumor
- AFC postpones 2027 Asian Cup host selection
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- City turns to ‘ghost’ town!
- UNO donates one-month salary and allowance to poor
- Real Madrid legend Benito passes away
- Child Shara donates tiffin money to poor
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- COVID-19 death toll in Spain surges 10,000
- Coronavirus death toll in US crosses 5,113
- PM asks govt officials, employees to use mask
- Bengali drama on Coronavirus issue
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51