Pakistan frees captured Indian pilot
Published: 10:19 PM, 1 March 2019 Updated: 10:30 PM, 1 March 2019
Pakistan on Friday released captured Indian pilot Abhinandan Varthaman as a gesture of peace towards New Delhi and an effort to de-escalate tensions between the two countries.
"Wing Commander Abhinandan, Indian POW, returned to India today, as committed by PM Khan in his address to joint sitting or parliament, yesterday," Foreign Office spokesman Dr Mohammad Faisal tweeted.
Rangers officials handed over the captured pilot to Indian officials at Wagah border crossing.
IAF Wing Commander Abhinandan was captured when his MiG-21 was among two Indian military aircraft shot down by Pakistan Air Force after they violated the Line of Control (LoC).
The move to release the pilot was announced Thursday by Prime Minister Imran Khan at a joint session of Parliament, a day after Pakistan shot down two Indian aircraft that had crossed the Line of Control (LoC) and captured Wing Commander Abhinandan.
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi earlier today confirmed Wing Commander Abhinandan will be handed back to Indian officials at the Wagah border crossing on Friday afternoon.
"As the prime minister has said, as a peace gesture and to de-escalate matters, the Indian pilot will be released. So today, this afternoon, he will be released at Wagah," Qureshi told a joint session of parliament Friday.
The Wagah crossing gate is famed for hosting an elaborate daily ceremony by Indian and Pakistani soldiers at sundown. Thousands of people had already gathered on the Indian side early Friday to welcome the pilot home, an AFP journalist said.
Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj earlier commented that "India does not wish to see further escalation of the situation". Prime Minister Narendra Modi is yet to make a public comment.
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat