Pakistan ex-PM Nawaz, daughter Maryam arrested
Published: 11:03 PM, 13 July 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Pakistan accountability officials on Friday arrested ex-prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam to serve the jail sentence.
They were arrested from Lahore airport.
It has been learned that Nawaz Sharif and Maryam Nawaz have been detained by the NAB officials. The duo courted arrest peacefully and cooperated with the authorities.
Their passports have been confiscated and they will be taken to Islamabad later, either by a chopper or a private jet depending on the weather conditions.
Earlier, the Pakistani Court on July 6 sentenced former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to 10 years in prison on corruption charges related to four luxury hotels in London.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) court gave the verdict after a series of delays
The court also gave 7 years jail term to Maryam Nawaz Sharif, daughter of Nawaz Sharif and one-year jail term to Safdar Awan, son-in-law of Nawaz Sharif.
After the verdict, Nawaz Sharif has called the charges as politically motivated. Both Nawaz Sharif and daughter Maryam Nawaz Sharif are in London where Kulsoom Nawaz, wife of Nawaz Sharif, is receiving cancer treatment.
Judge Mohammad Bashir ordered Sharif to serve 10 years for owning assets beyond income and one year for not co-operating with the NAB. He will serve his sentences concurrently.
Daughter Maryam received seven years for abetting a crime and one year for not co-operating again to run concurrently while Safdar Awan`s sentence is for not co-operating.
The case, known as the Avenfield Reference, relates to a number of properties in the UK capital.
The Panama Paper leaks’ 2015 revealed that several of Sharif`s children had links to offshore companies, which were allegedly used to channel funds and buy foreign assets - including luxury flats in Avenfield House, on London’s Park Lane.
However, his family insists that legitimately acquired the four properties.
As part of the ruling, the court ordered they be confiscated for the federal government.
Meanwhile, the court repeatedly delayed the decision, initially pushing the ruling back after Friday prayers and then several times again, sparking speculation about the wait.
However, the judge reportedly said part of the delay was because of the need to photocopy the judgment - which is more than 100 pages long - for both the defense and the prosecution.
The ruling comes just a few weeks before Pakistan`s general election on 25 July. Sharif is disqualified from standing for his center-right party, the PML-N.
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- How to enhance or suppress memories
- Theresa May profile
- Panchagarh Express maiden voyage tomorrow
- 20 student burnt to death in India
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Mother of two ‘gang raped’ in Noakhali
- We have fought having month-long fasting: AG Minister
- Lightning kills 3 in B’baria, Habiganj
- PM to open 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges tomorrow
- Terrible traffic jam in Rupganj
- Collapse risk of College boundary in Nalitabari
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- 300 orphan received PM’s Eid gifts
- Lightning kills three in Habiganj
- Injury scare for Eoin Morgan
- Tigers’ fan song ‘Cholo Bangladesh’ for World Cup composed
- High-security Ebola burials spark dismay, anger in DR Congo
- SpaceX launches first satellites of its internet network
- Mosque blast kills 2 in Pakistan
- British PM Theresa May announces to resign
- Itikaf: Significance and its virtues in Ramadan
- Sri Lanka to bowl first against SA
- Two country`s pending issues will be resolved: Quader
- Modi plots course after landslide Indian election win
- Kushtia Tailors passing busy time
- 3 more Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Jenner, Banderas, turn out for glitzy amfAR gala near Cannes
- Rain with gusty wind likely over country
- PCB bans wives and family from travelling with team
- All News »
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- `Final should not decide my future`
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Taskin in WC reserve squad finally
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Shakib-less Bangladesh opt to field
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar