Pakistan detains JeM chief`s son, brother
Published: 11:51 AM, 6 March 2019
Masood Azhar, chief of the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM)
Pakistan detained 44 suspected militants, including the brother and son of Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) chief Masood Azhar, following the attack in Indian-administered Kashmir which sparked a crisis with India.
Pakistan Minister of state for interior Shehryar Afidi and interior secretary Azam Suleman Khan announced the detentions at a news conference in Islamabad on Tuesday, saying the move was aimed at securing Pakistan’s future.
The action came almost three weeks after the February 14 Pulwama terror attack, in which 40 Indian troopers were killed. JeM claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.
Pakistan has been under international pressure to crack down on militant networks since the suicide bombing. It triggered a crisis with India that threatened to escalate into military conflict, and Delhi said it had carried out air strikes on a JeM training camp in response.
However, Pakistan said the arrests were not a result of any external pressure, though Indian officials have reacted with skepticism.
Addressing the militant detentions, Azam Suleman Khan said that if investigators find "evidence against them, they will be proceeded against," and if not they will be set free.
JeM is designated a terror organisation by India and the UN, as well as the UK and the US.
At least some of those held are thought to be named in an Indian dossier handed to the Pakistani authorities investigating last month's Pulwama suicide attack.
In the past, some militants have faced legal action in Pakistan, before later being released.
India accuses Pakistan of allowing militant groups to operate on its territory and says Pakistani security agencies played a role in the attack, which was claimed by JeM and killed 40 Indian troops.
Pakistan denies any role and has said it does not provide safe haven to militants.
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- DU admission test in new method
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque