Padma Bridge rail route being connected with Trans-Asian network
Published: 08:30 PM, 19 February 2020 Updated: 08:32 PM, 19 February 2020
The rail route of Padma Bridge is going to add with the Trans-Asian Rail Route to connect China with Myanmar. The proposed route will connect India through the Petrapole border and will join the Benapole-Jashore-Narail-Bhanga-Mawa via Narayanganj-Dhaka-Tongi-Akhaura-Chattogram-Dohazari to Gundam border in Myanmar.
A proposal regarding this was discussed at an intergovernmental meeting of the United Nations ESCAP (Economic and Social Commission on Asia and Pacific) held on December 10 to December 11 at Bangkok, the capital of Thailand.
When the process will complete, the rail route will be the 4th Trans-Asian Rail Route in Bangladesh.
Earlier, three routes of Bangladesh were added to the Trans-Asian Rail route. Of these -
- 1st route — connected India through the Gede border and joined Darshana-Ishwardi-Jamtoil-Joydebpur-Tongi-Akhaura-Chattogram-Dohazari to Gundam border.
- 2nd route — will connect India through the Singabad border and will join Rohanpur-Rajshahi-Abdulpur-Ishwardi-Jamtoil-Joydebpur-Tongi-Akhaura-Chattogram-Dohazari to Gundam border.
- 3rd route — will join Radhikapur-Biroil-Dinajpur-Parbatipur-Abdulpur-Ishwardi-Jamtoil-Joydebpur-Tongi-Akhaura-Chattogram-Dohazari to Gundam border.
It is learned that Bangladesh started talks with the United Nations ESCAP on the Trans-Asian Rail route since 2007. However, negotiations began with the formal consent of the fourth bilateral conference of the Intergovernmental Conference held in Bangkok in 2015. This is the sixth Biennial Conference discussed with the new proposal.
Meanwhile, under the ‘Padma Bridge Railway Connection Project’, the government has taken a 168-km railway project from Dhaka to Jashore-Benapole which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on October 13, 2018.
According to the project sources —
- The first part of the 3-km Dual Gauge (DG) Railway will be constructed from Kamalapur to Gandaria station in Dhaka.
- The second part — 36.63-km Broad Gauge Railway and 4 stations — will be constructed from Gandaria to Mawa.
- The third part — 42.195-km Broad Gauge Railway and 5 stations — will be constructed from Mawa to Bhanga.
- The fourth part — 86-km Broad Gauge Railway and 10 stations — will be constructed from Faridpur’s Bhanga to Jashore.
- Besides, in the fifth part — 100 Broad Gauge coach will be collected where 4 AC Sleeper Coach and 16 AC Chair Coach will be collected by July 2020.
The cost of implementation of the project has been estimated at Tk 39,246.79 crores. However, the cost was estimated Tk 34,988.86 crores and The tenure has been fixed till December 2022 during approval. But in April 2018, the project cost was extended to Tk 4,257.93 crores till June 2024.
On a G-to-G basis, Bangladesh-China is jointly implementing the project. In this, the government of Bangladesh is carrying Tk 18,210.10 crores where China will provide Tk 21,036.69 crores. For this purpose, an agreement was made with China Exim Bank.
The first route was considered as a sub-route of the Trans-Asian Rail Route. Regarding the process and requirements of joining the main network from there, Project Manager Engineer Golam Fakhruddin Ahmed Chowdhury said: “the purpose is to open the door and increase connectivity”.
In the meantime, we have created a connection with India. This time, we are going to connect with Myanmar. From there, it will connect with China. By this route, the country people can travel to many other countries, he also said.
Regarding the progress of the project, Engineer Golam Fakhruddin Ahmed Chowdhury said that 23 percent of the project work had already been completed.
“It is expected to complete the remaining work within the project tenure. China Railway Group Limited is implementing the project,” he added.
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- Sweeper dies with corona symptoms in Rangpur
- 39 of the 54 new coronavirus patients in Dhaka
- Killer Majed`s death warrant issued
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Hajj registration process extended till Apr 16
- Holy Shab-E-Barat tomorrow
- Rain likely, temperature may fall
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- Jahanara’s `8` tips to prevent Coronavirus infection
- Trump threatens WHO
- Police provides foodstuffs to helpless people in Kotalipara
- Fire gutted 10 shops in Tangail
- Coronavirus death toll in India rises to 160
- Coronavirus kills 2,000 in a single day in US
- Lockdown lifted in Wuhan after 76 days
- Adequate stock of salt in country
- Mathbaria under lockdown
- Coronavirus: Death toll tops 82 thousand globally
- Ronaldinho released from prison after 32 days
- James Bond actress Honor Blackman dies
- Death toll exceeds 6,000 in UK
- World witnesses last Pink Superman of the year today
- 1st coronavirus case identified in Tangail
- Death toll exceeds 17000 in Italy
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117