PM urged businessmen to explore new markets
Published: 03:29 PM, 1 January 2018 Updated: 09:30 PM, 3 January 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said, “You (businessmen) to look for new countries, new markets and assess the demands in those markets. If we can do that we’ll be able to boost our business. We also need to main the quality of our products, make those attractive and brand those. All these things are very much important.”
The Prime Minister said this while inaugurating the 23rd Dhaka International Trade Fair (DITF) at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) on Monday. The month-long Dhaka International Trade Fair jointly arranged by the Ministry of Commerce and Export Promotion Bureau (EPB).
Adding that Bangladeshi products should maintain global standard to sustain in the world market, Sheikh Hasina said, "The volume of export and earnings from the sector would be increased to a large extent if we can export goods with our own brand."
She assured the businessmen of providing her government’s all-out support to expand the export basket of Bangladeshi products. “We’ve already extended our all-out cooperation and will do the same in the future,” she said.
The premier mentioned that Bangladesh is currently exporting 750 items to 199 countries across the globe. “But, I think, we’ve to march forward and expand and improve our export basket,” she added.
Sheikh Hasina said her government has opened up 12 new embassies and 17 diplomatic missions aimed at expanding trade and business with those countries.
The Prime Minister said the businessmen also must look at the domestic market to expand their business. “You’ve to work to increase the purchasing capacity of local people…this is essential to increase the purchasing capacity if you want to market your products,” she added.
Hasina mentioned that her government has given importance to the economic development of the country’s rural areas. She said, “We’ve taken steps to develop the livelihood of the rural people so that they could purchase your products.”
Describing Bangladesh as an agriculture dependent country, she said, “It’s not possible to expedite the economic development without industrialisation. But, the agriculture sector must not be neglected because agriculture is very much important…our food security is ensured with the agriculture sector.”
The Prime Minister said, “We have to boost our export and take a planned policy keeping all these things in mind. And the government has taken 5th Five Year Plan alongside a 10-year long vision with that view in mind.”
She declared the pharmaceuticals as the `product of the year`, saying the government would provide support to the sector for boosting up the export of medicines and other pharmaceutical products abroad during the year.
She hoped that the pharmaceutical sector, like readymade garments, would take Bangladesh to a new height of honour in the global arena within a very short time.
Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed, Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Commerce Ministry Tajul Islam Chowdhury, Secretary of Ministry of Commerce Shubhashish Basu, President of Federation of Bangladesh Chambers and Commerce and Industry (FBCCI) Shafiul Islam Mahiuddin and Vice Chairman of Export Promotion Bureau EPB Bijoy Bhattachariya also spoke at the inaugural programme.
Cabinet members, PM`s advisors, senior government officials, diplomats, business leaders and exporters and participants from home and abroad were present.
- Bangladesh take on Burundi in 2nd semifinal tomorrow
- Greece elects first woman president
- S Korean army to discharge transgender soldier
- MP’s son hospitalised after drinking ‘Harpic’
- Paoli Dam in ‘Mahanayika’s role
- Man sentenced to 8 months in jail for killing dog
- Students’ love for Bangabandhu
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
- Badda lynching case: Probe report Feb 20
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- 48 held in anti-narcotics drive in capital
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
- Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
- Bone-chilling cold in Kurigram, mercury falls to 7.2°C
- Rohingya Genocide: ICJ to announce verdict tomorrow
- Death toll hits 9 with 440 coronavirus cases: China
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhiya fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona to face Ibiza tonight
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- China’s new virus likely to spread around
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Arrest warrant against Prothom Alo Editor