PM to receive Global Women’s Leadership Award today
Published: 02:24 PM, 27 April 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina; File Photo
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina arrived Sydney on Friday morning on a three-day official visit to Australia at the invitation of her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull to receive the Global Women`s Leadership Award at the 2018 Global Summit of Women.
During her visit, the Premier also expect to hold a bilateral meeting with the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
A Thai Airways flight carrying the Prime Minister and her entourage landed at Kingsford Smith International Airport in Sydney at 3:25 am on Friday (Bangladesh time) from Bangkok.
Bangladesh High Commissioner to Australia Mohammad Sufiur Rahman received her at the airport.
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, State Minister for Women and Children Affairs Meher Afroze Chumki, Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque and a women business delegation are, among others, accompanying the Prime Minister.
From the airport, the Prime Minister in a motorcade was taken to Intercontinental Sydney Hotel where she will be staying during the visit.
On Saturday, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and Vietnam Vice President will call on Sheikh Hasina.
In the evening, the Prime Minister will attend Global Women’s Leadership Award Gala Dinner at International Convention Centre (ICC) Sydney on Friday evening and will receive the Global Women’s Leadership Award there.
Sheikh Hasina is being honoured with the award, a lifetime honour, for her outstanding leadership in advancing women education and women entrepreneurs in Bangladesh, Asia and Asia-pacific region.
At the event, she will deliver her speech highlighting women empowerment, equal rights, bringing women in the mainstream of development, steps were taken by the government and achievements made so far.
There will also be a brief introduction of Sheikh Hasina and a short video presentation on her there.
The award will be conferred on Sheikh Hasina by US-based NGO Global Summit of Women in Sydney during 2018 Global Summit of Women to be held on April 26-28 here.
It is a business Summit, the ‘business’ focus on which is on women’s advancement in the global economy. For over 27 years, the Summit has been connecting women worldwide.
The Prime Minister on Saturday will visit Sydney University, hold a bilateral meeting with her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull and attend a community event at Sofitel Hotel in Sydney.
Sheikh Hasina will leave Sydney on Sunday afternoon and return home in the early hours of Monday.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus