PM to open the countdown of Mujib Year
Published: 09:26 AM, 10 January 2020 Updated: 01:00 PM, 10 January 2020
The countdown to the observance of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s birth centenary is set to begin on Friday at the Tejgaon Old Airport in the capital where Bangabandhu landed in the freshly liberated and sovereign Bangladesh on January 10, 1972.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the countdown on Friday afternoon for the observance of Bangabandhu’s birth centenary from March 17, 2020, to March 17, 2021, aimed at presenting the life and works of Bangabandhu before the people, especially the new generation.
Through the inauguration, the countdown will begin simultaneously in every district, upazila and all public gathering places across the country.
Devices for countdown are being set up at different public places in the city, divisional cities, districts, city corporations and upazilas across the country.
Twelve city corporations are setting up devices in the 28 points while 83 devices are also being set up divisional cities, 53 districts, two upazillas and Dhaka city, including Dhaka University.
Many ministries, divisions, departments, socio-cultural organizations and public and private universities are also setting up devices through their own initiatives.
Chief Coordinator of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s Birth Centenary Celebration National Implementation Committee Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury said the countdown to the observance of the birth centenary will begin through creating a symbolic atmosphere of the return of Bangabandhu, the undisputed leader of the nation, to the sacred soil of independent Bangladesh.
As January 10 is a historic day for the nation, he said, they are going to start the countdown from the day.
On January 10, 1972, Bangabandhu returned to the sacred soil of independent Bangladesh via London and New Delhi, after 290 days of captivity in Pakistan jail.
Bangladesh, Kamal Chowdhury said, is going to celebrate the birth centenary aimed at accelerating the country’s development activities and services for building hunger and poverty-free ‘Sonar Bangla’.
“Our goal is not just to celebrate the birth centenary, but to add a new dimension in the country’s development activities and services for building ‘Sonar Bangla’ as dreamt by Bangabandhu,” he added.
The chief coordinator said different socio-cultural and political organizations from grassroots to the national level, ministries and divisions are taking programmes to celebrate the birth centenary.
“Many programmes are being taken marking the Mujib Year. We have already selected over 299 proposals of programmes, came from home and abroad. We are providing the necessary supports to implement the programmes. We have formed eight subcommittees for ensuring smooth implementation of the programmes,” he added.
The programmes include short films, screening documentaries, introducing international award in the name of Bangabandhu and Green Factory Award.
Kamal Chowdhury said there will be an inauguration programme on March 17 this year where eminent personalities from home and abroad will attend.
For ensuring smooth celebration of the birth centenary, the government has formed a national committee and a national implementation committee. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been made the president of the national committee, while PM’s former principal secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury became the member secretary.
National Professor Mohammad Rafiqul Islam and PM’s former principal secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury have been made president and chief coordinator of the national implementation committee respectively.
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- Acid thrown to make Muslims eyeless in Delhi
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test