PM receives Global Women`s Leadership Award
Published: 05:49 PM, 27 April 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Friday called for mobilizing a new global alliance to promote women rights and empowerment as she was conferred with Global Women`s Leadership Award for her outstanding contribution to their cause.
"We have to forge a new alliance to support the women and uphold their rights. Together, we must act on our shared culture, tradition and values to benefit millions of women in need," she said while receiving the award at a Gala Dinner of the Global Summit of Women 2018.
Sheikh Hasina received the prestigious accolade from Global Summit of Women President Irene Natividad amid thunderous clapping of nearly 1500 women leaders from across the globe who joined the summit.
The women leaders gave a standing ovation to the Bangladesh prime minister for several minutes on the occasion.
The US-based Global Summit of Women conferred the award on Sheikh Hasina for her leadership in women`s education and entrepreneurship in Bangladesh.
A video documentary on the political life of Sheikh Hasina, Bangladesh`s economic progress and different steps taken by her government for women empowerment was screened earlier.
Prime Minister`s younger sister Sheikh Rehana and Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, among others, were present on the occasion.
Sheikh Hasina said: "I am highly glad and deeply honored" to receive the Global Women Leadership Award 2018 and she dedicated it to the women across the world, who have shown their might in changing their lots.
"It is a great pleasure for me to see the women change-makers," the premier said and extended sincere thanks to the Global Summit of Women for nominating her for the prestigious accolade and organizing this gala event.
She urged all to work together to overcome traditional gender stereotypes regarding women`s ability and reach out marginal and vulnerable women who were still less fed, not schooled, under-paid and violated.
The premier particularly stressed creating equal opportunities for women in all sectors of life and livelihoods and said no woman and girl should be left behind. She also called for women`s enhanced productivity by addressing health hazards specific to women.
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- Sweeper dies with corona symptoms in Rangpur
- 39 of the 54 new coronavirus patients in Dhaka
- Killer Majed`s death warrant issued
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Hajj registration process extended till Apr 16
- Holy Shab-E-Barat tomorrow
- Rain likely, temperature may fall
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India