PM receives Global Women`s Leadership Award
Published: 05:49 PM, 27 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Friday called for mobilizing a new global alliance to promote women rights and empowerment as she was conferred with Global Women`s Leadership Award for her outstanding contribution to their cause.
"We have to forge a new alliance to support the women and uphold their rights. Together, we must act on our shared culture, tradition and values to benefit millions of women in need," she said while receiving the award at a Gala Dinner of the Global Summit of Women 2018.
Sheikh Hasina received the prestigious accolade from Global Summit of Women President Irene Natividad amid thunderous clapping of nearly 1500 women leaders from across the globe who joined the summit.
The women leaders gave a standing ovation to the Bangladesh prime minister for several minutes on the occasion.
The US-based Global Summit of Women conferred the award on Sheikh Hasina for her leadership in women`s education and entrepreneurship in Bangladesh.
A video documentary on the political life of Sheikh Hasina, Bangladesh`s economic progress and different steps taken by her government for women empowerment was screened earlier.
Prime Minister`s younger sister Sheikh Rehana and Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, among others, were present on the occasion.
Sheikh Hasina said: "I am highly glad and deeply honored" to receive the Global Women Leadership Award 2018 and she dedicated it to the women across the world, who have shown their might in changing their lots.
"It is a great pleasure for me to see the women change-makers," the premier said and extended sincere thanks to the Global Summit of Women for nominating her for the prestigious accolade and organizing this gala event.
She urged all to work together to overcome traditional gender stereotypes regarding women`s ability and reach out marginal and vulnerable women who were still less fed, not schooled, under-paid and violated.
The premier particularly stressed creating equal opportunities for women in all sectors of life and livelihoods and said no woman and girl should be left behind. She also called for women`s enhanced productivity by addressing health hazards specific to women.
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- ‘BD hosting 1.2 mn Rohingyas refugees from Myanmar’
- Passengers suffer at Jamalpur station to collect tickets
- Bangladesh sought Saudi diplomats help for Rohingyas back
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry