Historic March 7
PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
Published: 09:38 AM, 7 March 2019 Updated: 11:05 AM, 7 March 2019
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday morning paid rich tributes to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of the historic March 7.
The prime minister, also the president of Bangladesh Awami League (AL), paid the homage by placing wreaths at the portrait of the Father of the Nation in front of Bangabandhu Memorial Museum at Dhanmondi-32 in the capital.
She first laid a wreath at the portrait of Bangabandhu as the prime minister.
After placing the wreath, she stood in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu, the architect of the independence.
Flanked by central leaders of the party, Sheikh Hasina placed another wreath at the portrait of the Father of the Nation on behalf of her party.
Later, the leaders and workers of Awami League’s associate bodies, including Awami Jubo League, Chhatra League, Mohila Awami League, Sramik League, Krishak League, Jubo Mohila League and Swechchhasebok League, also paid homage to Bangabandhu by placing wreaths at his portrait on the occasion.
On this day in 1971, Bangabandhu through his fiery and soulful address made a clarion call to the people to fight against the Pakistani occupation forces to achieve the long-cherished independence.
Before a rally of a million of freedom- loving people at the then Race Course Maidan (now Suhrawardhy Udyan) on March 7 in 1971, Bangabandhu in a virtual announcement of independence declared, “Ebarer sangram amader muktir sangram, ebarer sangram swadhinatar sangram (the struggle this time is for our freedom, the struggle this time is for our independence)”.
- Chikon Kala: Jungal of insatiable demons
- Man City hit eight in Watford demolition
- `BNP’s politics centered on illness of Khaleda Zia`
- Over 100 arrested in Paris `yellow vest` protests
- Nawaz, Iftikhar return to Pakistan side for SL ODIs
- Taylor Swift cancels concert amid animal rights criticism
- Iran issues `battlefield` warning as US deploys troops
- Shakib star as Bangladesh win over Afghanistan
- Judge dies after eating Bidya’s cook food!
- Reason behind children’s happiness
- RAB’s drive in Chattogram’s three clubs
- ‘Action to be taken wherever irregularities found’
- 3 students die in Dinajpur boat capsize
- Bangladesh seals thrilling 5-run win against India
- Four died in West Bengal in NRC panic
- Bangladesh lost both openers
- Blind-deaf travels 130 countries
- Bangladesh restrict Afghanistan to 138
- Action against all if evidence found: HM
- 20-beds hospital still not launched in 14yrs
- Ways to prevent upper lips sweat
- JU admission test starts Sunday
- Murder accused killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president on 10-day remand
- Bus supervisor killed in Natore road crash
- Bangladesh opt to field
- Cops look for burqa woman taking Minni’s photos!
- Bangladesh starts U-18 SAFF championship with win
- Fairytale’s Hiramon
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean