PM pays homage to Armed Forces martyrs
Published: 12:23 PM, 21 November 2019 Updated: 08:25 PM, 21 November 2019
Prime Minister paid the homage by placing a wreath at the Shikha Anirban (flame eternal) in Dhaka Cantonment on the occasion of Armed Forces Day-2019; Photo: PID
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday paid glowing tributes to the martyred members of Bangladesh Armed Forces on the occasion of the Armed Forces Day-2019.
The Prime Minister paid the homage by placing a wreath at the Shikha Anirban (flame eternal) in Dhaka Cantonment in the morning.
After laying the wreath, she stood in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memories of the martyrs of the armed forces, who made supreme sacrifices during the War of Liberation.
A smartly turned out contingent drawn from Army, Navy and Air Force presented a guard of honor at that time, while bugle played the last post.
Later, Sheikh Hasina, also in-charge of the Ministry of Defence, signed the visitors’ book kept on the premises of Shikha Anirban.
Earlier, on her arrival at Shikha Anirban, the premier was received by Chief of Army Staff General Aziz Ahmed, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Abu Mozaffar Mohiuddin Mohammad Aurangzeb Chowdhury, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat and Principal Staff Officer (PSO) of the Armed Forces Division (AFD) Lt Gen Md Mahfuzur Rahman.
After the wreath-placing ceremony, the Prime Minister went to the Armed Forces Division (AFD) where the three chiefs of the armed forces made a courtesy call on her.
On her arrival at the AFD, Sheikh Hasina was received by the PSO and director generals of the AFD.
On this day during the War of Liberation in 1971, the Bangladesh Armed Forces, comprising Army, Navy and Air Force, came into being and launched an all-out attack on the Pakistani occupation forces which sped up the victory in the Liberation War.
After the independence of the country, this historic day is observed as the Armed Forces Day every year.
- National Memorial prepared for Victory Day
- Shabnur returns!
- Dry weather likely over country
- 3 killed in Nepal bomb blast
- Man held with 600 bottles of phensedyl
- Former Sudan President sentenced to 2 years detention
- List of 10 thousand Razakars published
- Tourist attractions in Sylhet
- Coutinho hits hat-trick as Bayern rout Werder Bremen
- 2 held with counterfeit currency in Sylhet
- Rajshahi claims top after Dhaka phase
- Protest sparked in West Bengal; 5 trains,15 buses set on fire
- Cargo vessel sinks collided with launch in Barishal
- Knitting factory gutted in Ashulia
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- Govt to publish list of Razakars today
- Motorcyclist killed in Pirganj
- Today’s sports on TV
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Gazipur freed today
- Made in Bangladesh’ expo in Qatar from Jan 28
- Telenor drops Huawei for Ericsson in 5G contract
- Boucher named South Africa head coach
- Queen Elizabeth looking for social media expert
- Homemade natural ‘Body Lotion’
- Sylhet Thunder’s losing streak continues in BBPL
- Six essential tips for bride
- ERC condemns Suu Kyi
- Salah double seals Liverpool win over Watford
- Zia was Moshtaque’s most trusted man: PM
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today