PM orders steps to return stranded Bangladeshis from China
Published: 09:53 PM, 27 January 2020 Updated: 10:37 AM, 28 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has directed the foreign ministry to initiate steps to bring back the “willing to return” Bangladeshis who are now stranded in China due to outbreak of deadly coronavirus, State Minister for Foreign Affairs M Shahriar Alam said today.
“We’ve started discussions with the Chinese government in this regard” in line with the premier’s directives, Alam said in a Facebook post.
He added that the foreign office planned to discuss the issue with Chinese authorities in coronavirus-prone regions to find out ways for their return as they enforced travel lockdowns, barring entry and exits of people.
Alam said the foreign office would issue a primary directive by today to prepare a list of citizens who are willing to return.
“Our main purpose is the safety of our citizens,” the state minister said.
Bangladesh Embassy in Beijing already opened a 24-hour hotline to reach out expatriate Bangladeshis if they need any emergency support due to the virus.
The hotline number is +86 178-0111-6005 and it has been circulated to Bangladeshi expatriates, especially students and researchers residing across China.
Alam said an estimated 300 to 400 Bangladeshi students were now in Wuhan, the virus epicenter.
Bangladesh embassy in Beijing earlier said they were in touch with the students in Wuhan.
The toll from China’s viral epidemic spiked on Monday to 80 dead with hundreds of new infections despite unprecedented quarantines and travel lockdowns, as foreign governments scrambled to help their trapped citizens.
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- 2 killed in Pabna road crash
- Radical changes await in rail
- Now water price also increased
- BFF polls on Apr 20
- 38 injured as passenger train derailed in Egypt
- EC rejects demand for CCC polls delay
- Hemnagar Rail Station: A place of drug den
- Mushfiqur leaps 5-place in ICC Test rankings
- Media will go further: Khalid
- Delhi riots: Death toll climbs to 42, red alert issued
- Child killed in Habiganj road crash
- Mushfiqur stick on his decision over Pakistan tour
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 17 in Italy
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Paralyzed patient burned to ashes at ‘therapy room’
- Apply through SMS cancelled, HSC admission only online
- Drug export exceeds billion dollars soon
- Pilot killed in Spain plane crash
- Delhir Akhra in Kishoreganj
- Pedestrian run over by microbus in Kashiani
- 2 BU students fired over clashes of domination
- Iran’s former envoy to Vatican dies of coronavirus
- 3 City College students held
- ‘Awami League believes in development, not in words’
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed