PM opens several uplift schemes
Published: 12:52 PM, 26 January 2020 Updated: 12:57 PM, 26 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday inaugurated several uplift schemes including two water treatment plants, two bridges, several train services and 12-hour transmission of BTV’s Chattogram centre programmes.
The Prime Minister inaugurated the development projects at 11:15 am through a video conference from her official Ganabhaban residence in the capital. - Report BSS
Sheikh Hasina opened two water treatment plants - Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant in Chattogram under the jurisdiction of Chattogram WASA, and Bangabandhu Water Treatment Plant in Khulna under Khulna WASA–aimed at meeting up the growing demand of pure drinking water of the localities.
Tk 1,890.82 crore was spent to build the Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant having the capacity of producing 92 crore litres per day. It will increase pure drinking water coverage to 90 percent from the existing 65 percent in Chattogram.
While Bangabandhu Water Treatment Plant was built at a cost of Tk 2,554 crore with the capacity of producing 11 crore litres per day. The existing 25 percent coverage of pure drinking water has been increased to 75 percent bringing 15 lakh more people of Khulna under the coverage.
Two bridges built on the rivers Titas at Nabinagar Upazila in Brahmanbaria and the Kaliganga in Manikganj Sadar under an important Nine Bridge Project of the Local Government Department.
The 5.75-metre long bridge on the river Titas was built at a cost of Tk 37.95 crore while 456-metre long bridge on the river Kaliganga was built at a cost of Tk 54.29 crore.
The two water treatment plants and two bridges were built under the Local Government Department.
New train services, Jamalpur Express on Tarakandi-Jamalpur-Dhaka route, Rajbari Express (old Faridpur Express) on Pachuria-Faridpur-Bhanga route Bhanga, Dhalarchar Express (old Pabna Express) on Dhalarchar-Pabna-Rajshahi route, have also been opened as part of the move to spread rail communication across the country.
Besides, the Udayan and Paharika Expresses on Sylhet-Chattogram route will be replaced with two newly imported coaches.
The premier inaugurated an App to facilitate the digital functioning of the Palli Sanchay Bank. It will be brought 22 lakh people under the coverage.
The premier also opened 12-hour transmission of programmes of Bangladesh Television’s Chattogram centre.
Senior Secretary of Financial Institutions Division of Finance Ministry Md Asadul Islam and Information Secretary Kamrun Nahar made a brief presentation on the app of Palli Sanchay Bank and 12-hour transmission of BTV’s Chattogram centre respectively.
Separate documentaries on the uplift schemes were screened on the occasion.
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen, Information Minister Dr. Hasan Mahmud, LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Md Tajul Islam, Railways Minister Md Nurul Islam Sujon and former minister and Awami League praesidium member Begum Matia Chowdhury shared the stage with the premier.
PMO Secretary Md. Tofazzel Hossain Miah, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim and high officials of the concerned ministries, representatives of different development partners, among others, were present at the function, while PM’s Principal Secretary Dr Ahmad Kaikous moderated it.
- Sound pollution, duo arrests in Ctg
- Crowd erupted at Cumilla Shaheed Minar
- Amar Ekushey Prabhat Feri observed in Sylhet
- 2 BCL leaders crashed to fetch flowers
- Tribute procession to Ctg Central Shaheed Minar
- Prabhat Feri observed in Shariatpur
- More 115 killed in lethal COVID-19 in a day
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Today’s sports on TV
- Syria-Turkey fierce fighting in Idlib kills 27
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- 8-yrs son on way demanding punishment of father’s killers
- Man arrested after London mosque stabbing
- CU also not to join combined admission test system
- Martin Braithwaite joins Barcelona
- US Embassy launches website in Bengali
- BSF officer commits suicide in Kashmir
- BD ranks 143 in improving quality of life in children
- Schoolgirl hangs for cellphone
- Train derailed in Australia kills 2
- Bangladeshi detained by BSF on Kurigram border
- Untold story of language fighter Momtaz Begum
- Fraud Nigerian detained in airport
- Tips to get rid of chickenpox scar
- 9 persons, one institution to get Independence Award
- DMP detained 57 in anti-narcotic drive
- Extinct wildcat recovered from Bhola
- S Korea confirms first coronavirus death
- Kohli needs 11 to surpass Ganguly
- All News »
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital