PM opens seven more power plants
Published: 02:52 PM, 13 November 2019 Updated: 03:50 PM, 13 November 2019
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina; File Photo
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday inaugurated seven power plants to bring 23 more upazilas across the country under cent percent electrification coverage.
The Premier opened the power plants through a videoconferencing from her official Ganabhaban residence in the capital.
The seven power plants are — Anwara 300 MW Power Plant, Rangpur 113 MW Power Plant, Karnaphuli 110 MW Power Plant, Shikalbaha 105 MW Power Plant, Patia 54 MW Power Plant, Tentulia 8 MW Solar Power Plant and Gazipur 100 MW Power Plant.
After inauguration of these plants, the country’s power generation capacity stands at 22,562 MW as 95 percent people of the country have so far come under the electrification coverage.
Apart from this, 234 upazilas among total 461 upazilas of the country have come under cent percent electrification coverage coincided with the opening of seven power plants as 127 upazilas are awaiting for being brought under complete electrification.
The rest 100 upazilas will come under complete electrification coverage during 2020-21year declared as Mujib Borsho (Mujib year) marking the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
With opening the new power plants, the government is moving fast to reach the target of 24,000 MW power generation capacity by 2021, 40,000 MW by 2030, and 60,000 MW by 2041.
The 23 upazilas which came under cent percent electricity coverage are — Gabtali, Sherpur and Shibganj in Bogura district, Lohagara in Chattogram, Madhukhali, Nagarkanda and Saltha in Faridpur district, Fulchhari, Gaibandha Sadar and Palashbari in Gaibandha district, Madhappur and Nabiganj in Habiganj district, Kaliganj and Maheshpur in Jhenaidah district, Karimganj under Kishoreganj, Baraigram, Lalpur and Singra under Natore district, Barhatta and Mahonganj in Netrakona district, Bhandaria, Kaukhali and Indurkani under Pirojpur district.
Deputy Speaker Md. Fazle Rabbi Miah, Prime Minister’s Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Affairs Adviser Tawfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury, State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid and Chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Md. Shahiduzzaman Sarker, were present on the dais.
Railways Minister Md. Nurul Islam Sujan, PM’s Political Affairs Adviser HT Imam, State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism M Mahbub Ali, State Minister for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Division Zunaid Ahmed Palak and State Minister for Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock Md. Ashraf Ali Khan Khasru were present on the occasion.
PM’s Principal Secretary Md Nojibur Rahman moderated the function while Senior Secretary of Power Division Dr Ahmad Kaikaus gave a presentation on the overall development of power generation capacity.
Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) Secretary Sajjadul Hassan and PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim were also present, among others.
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- Dhaka set 135 for Rajshahi
- Ali Ajgar’s generosity for poor people
- Rain suspends play in Rawalpindi Test
- Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
- Today’s Sports on TV
- 33 detained in anti-narcotic drive
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Tragedies shouldn’t be heard at Hague’
- Myanmar people demo against state counselor
- US expects good result from ICJ: Miller
- Man accused in 13 cases killed in gunfight
- Keraniganj factory fire: Death toll climbs to 9
- Tight security at court premises
- Khaleda Zia’s bail hearing today
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey