PM for worthy citizens through sports
Published: 10:53 PM, 25 January 2020 Updated: 10:55 PM, 25 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina addressed closing ceremony of `Bangabandhu Gold Cup -2020` at Bangabandhu National Stadium, today - PID
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said her government has always laid high emphasis on sports as it instills into one the spirit to become worthy citizens.
“We want the people of the country, particularly youths to become worthy citizens through practicing sports,” the premier said while addressing a ceremony arranged for distributing trophies and prizes among the champion and runner up countries of the Bangabandhu Gold Cup International Football Tournament, 2020 at the Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka.
The premier hoped that the children of the country will go ahead through practicing sports as her government has always attached importance to sports and its overall development.
In this context, she said that her government has been arranging Bangamata Football Tournament for girls and Bangabandhu Football Tournament for boys from the primary school level.
The Prime Minister adorned the players, coaches and team managers with medals and distributed cheques for prize money among the best player, highest goal scorer and players of the champion and runner-up team.
Defending Champion Palestine clinched the title for the second term by beating Burundi by 3-1 goals.
The premier said, “I am extending special thanks to the friendly country Palestine for becoming champion and Burundi for becoming runners-up and other countries such as host Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Seychelles and Mauritius for taking part in the Bangabandhu Gold Cup.”
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina witnessed the entire second half of the final match between Palestine and Burundi at the stadium.
Welcoming the countries taking part in the tournament, the premier said, “I hope you have liked our country. Bangladesh is a beautiful country. I wish you will come again and again and participate in our tournaments. We will hold these types of tournaments more in future.”
The premier congratulated — the organizers, supporters, countries taking part in the extravaganza and the people concerned — for successfully organizing the prestigious Bangabandhu Gold Cup International Football Tournament, 2020, marking the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
A former Brazilian goalkeeper Júlio César, who attended as special guest of the Bangabandhu Gold Cup tournament, exchanged pleasantries with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina soon after she arrived at the stadium.
César, who arrived in Dhaka on Wednesday on a two-day visit at the invitation of Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF), witnessed the final match at the stadium.
State Minister for Ministry of Youth and Sports Md. Zahid Ahsan Russel, Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) President Kazi Md. Salahuddin and Senior Vice-President Abdus Salam Murshedy, among others, were present, on the occasion.
The 11-day Bangabandhu Gold Cup International Football Tournament, 2020, which began on January 15 at the Bangabandhu National Stadium, ended with the final match this evening.
A total of six countries — Sri Lanka, Laos, Cambodia, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan and host Bangladesh – took part in the eleven day meet.
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- Experience the world with Samsung Galaxy S20 series
- 6 of same family receive burn injury in Sirajganj
- Sheikh Hasina pushes country forward, others retreat
- Malaysia to form new government!
- Fake BGB member detained in Dinajpur
- Carter Center delegation calls on Chief Information Commissioner
- Qatar expat Bangladeshi`s body found in friend`s refrigerator!
- 3 held with yaba in DU residential building
- 4 detained with phensidyl in Sirajganj
- President asks Army to get ready for supreme sacrifice
- Youth held in anti-narcotic drive in Sylhet
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- 1 detained with weed in Cumilla
- Turkey and Pakistan close borders with Iran
- Officials have to reach farmers’ doors: Abdur Razzak
- South Zone in command as Farhad hits ton
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation
- 2 CoU students join SAUFEST-2020
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in Rangpur
- DMP detained 54 in anti-narcotic drive
- Handsome salary for less educated!
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Capital
- Youth detained with yaba in Manikganj
- 1 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- Two rookies in ODI squad
- GP pays Tk 1,000 crore to BTRC
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar