PM arrives in Australia
Published: 09:38 AM, 27 April 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina arrived Sydney on Friday morning on a three-day official visit to Australia at the invitation of her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull to join the 2018 Global Summit of Women.
A Thai Airways flight carrying the Prime Minister and her entourage landed at Kingsford Smith International Airport in Sydney at 3:25 am on Friday (Bangladesh time) from Bangkok.
Bangladesh High Commissioner to Australia Mohammad Sufiur Rahman received her at the airport.
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, State Minister for Women and Children Affairs Meher Afroze Chumki, Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque and a women business delegation are, among others, accompanying the Prime Minister.
From the airport, the Prime Minister in a motorcade was taken to Intercontinental Sydney Hotel where she will be staying during the visit.
On Saturday, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and Vietnam Vice President will call on Sheikh Hasina.
In the evening, the Prime Minister will attend Global Women’s Leadership Award Gala Dinner at International Convention Centre (ICC) Sydney on Friday evening and will receive the Global Women’s Leadership Award there.
Sheikh Hasina is being honored with the award, a lifetime honour, for her outstanding leadership in advancing women education and women entrepreneurs in Bangladesh, Asia and Asia-pacific region.
At the event, she will deliver her speech highlighting women empowerment, equal rights, bringing women in the mainstream of development, steps taken by the government and achievements made so far.
There will also be a brief introduction of Sheikh Hasina and a short video presentation on her there.
The award will be conferred on Sheikh Hasina by US-based NGO Global Summit of Women in Sydney during 2018 Global Summit of Women to be held on April 26-28 here.
It is a business Summit, the ‘business’ focus on which is on women’s advancement in the global economy. For over 27 years, the Summit has been connecting women worldwide.
The Prime Minister on Saturday will visit Sydney University, hold a bilateral meeting with her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull and attend a community event at Sofitel Hotel in Sydney.
Sheikh Hasina will leave Sydney on Sunday afternoon and return home in the early hours of Monday.
- Healthy newborn to coronavirus infected parents
- 34 more people tested for Coronavirus infection in Chattogram
- Coronavirus epidemic: Death toll surging to 65,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- BGMEA urges owners to shut factories until Apr 11
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Sehri and Iftar schedule revealed for upcoming Ramadan
- Coronavirus testing lab to be set-up in Cumilla
- 33 houses under lockdown in Shariatpur
- Madhukhali couple tested negative for coronavirus
- 2 Monipuri families under home quarantine
- Another woman in Gaibandha tests positive for coronavirus
- MP stands beside 800 families in Jamaganj
- Lightning kills 3 in Maheshkhali
- ‘Coronavirus test will be added to all medical college hospital’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- 2 RMG workers killed in Mymensingh road crash
- 1 killed, 15 injured in Brahmanbaria clash
- 8 types of coronavirus spread around the world
- Three physicians among 23 quarantined in Chattogram
- Call for Shab-e-Barat prayers at home
- Former Barcelona defender Carlos infected with coronavirus
- U-17 Women`s World Cup postponed
- Maximum 5pc LC margin for baby food import
- Coronavirus death surpasses 60,000
- China remembers coronavirus victims
- Shakib returns to family after completing quarantine
- WB to provide Tk 850 crore to Bangladesh
- Actor Javed undergoes successful surgery
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Kurmitola Hospital to treat coronavirus patients only
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 4 held in Saudi for claiming corona is ‘punishment from Allah’
- Army to go tough from today
- Edu Minister for continue students’ studies at home
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- No new coronavirus case detected in last 24 hrs: IEDCR
- Infant, younger than a year dies of coronavirus
- Construction work of Akij’s corona hospital resumed
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- What Trudeau’s wife says after healing from coronavirus
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000
- ‘Swapnataru’ comes forward in coronavirus crisis