PM accords reception to girls` football team
Published: 06:34 PM, 4 January 2018 Updated: 12:48 PM, 5 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina accorded a reception to Bangladesh girls` football team for clinching the title of the inaugural edition of the SAFF Under-15 Women`s Championship today, saying that they have brought a huge honour for the nation.
"Becoming unbeaten champions in the SAFF Under-15 tournament by defeating India twice was not an easy task for our girls` soccer team ... it`s a huge achievement for Bangladesh," she said.
The sports-lover prime minister hosted the reception for the Bangladesh girls` football team at her official Ganabhaban residence here this afternoon.
Sheikh Hasina urged the boys and girls to give more attention to the sports and games side by side with pursuing study.
"As much as they get involved in games and sports, they will remain in good thinking and healthy ... their mind will be broadened and they will not step into the wrong path," she aded.
Describing football as a popular game of Bangladesh, she said it should be given proper attention.
Recalling their family`s involvement with football, the prime minister said, "Bangabandhu and my grandfather used to play football. Besides, my elder brother Sheikh Kamal was associated with Abahani Club, a leading sports club of the country," she said.
Pointing out her government`s strides for the development of sports and games, Sheikh Hasina said her government wants to promote sports and games, and culture alongside education.
In this connection, she mentioned introduction of Bangabandhu and Bangamata Gold Cups for the primary school students. These tournaments have been encouraging the primary school students in playing soccer, she said.
Later, the prime minister handed over some gifts to the players of Bangladesh girls` soccer team and its officials.
South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) and Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) President Kazi Salahuddin delivered the welcome address.
Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, PM`s Private Sector Development Affairs Advisor Salman F Rahman, Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports Arif Khan Joy, Awami League Youth and Sports Secretary Harunur Rashid and other senior officials of the BFF were present on the occasion.
Bangladesh became unbeaten champions in the SAFF Under-15 Women`s Championship as they defeated India by 1-0 in the final at Birshreshtha Shaheed Sepoy Mostafa Kamal Stadium on December 24.
The hosts remained unbeaten, conceding no goals during the tournament. After crushing Nepal 6-0 in their first match, the girls beat Bhutan 3-0 and India 3-0 in the run up to the final.
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves