PM accords reception to girls` football team
Published: 06:34 PM, 4 January 2018 Updated: 12:48 PM, 5 January 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina accorded a reception to Bangladesh girls` football team for clinching the title of the inaugural edition of the SAFF Under-15 Women`s Championship today, saying that they have brought a huge honour for the nation.
"Becoming unbeaten champions in the SAFF Under-15 tournament by defeating India twice was not an easy task for our girls` soccer team ... it`s a huge achievement for Bangladesh," she said.
The sports-lover prime minister hosted the reception for the Bangladesh girls` football team at her official Ganabhaban residence here this afternoon.
Sheikh Hasina urged the boys and girls to give more attention to the sports and games side by side with pursuing study.
"As much as they get involved in games and sports, they will remain in good thinking and healthy ... their mind will be broadened and they will not step into the wrong path," she aded.
Describing football as a popular game of Bangladesh, she said it should be given proper attention.
Recalling their family`s involvement with football, the prime minister said, "Bangabandhu and my grandfather used to play football. Besides, my elder brother Sheikh Kamal was associated with Abahani Club, a leading sports club of the country," she said.
Pointing out her government`s strides for the development of sports and games, Sheikh Hasina said her government wants to promote sports and games, and culture alongside education.
In this connection, she mentioned introduction of Bangabandhu and Bangamata Gold Cups for the primary school students. These tournaments have been encouraging the primary school students in playing soccer, she said.
Later, the prime minister handed over some gifts to the players of Bangladesh girls` soccer team and its officials.
South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) and Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) President Kazi Salahuddin delivered the welcome address.
Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, PM`s Private Sector Development Affairs Advisor Salman F Rahman, Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports Arif Khan Joy, Awami League Youth and Sports Secretary Harunur Rashid and other senior officials of the BFF were present on the occasion.
Bangladesh became unbeaten champions in the SAFF Under-15 Women`s Championship as they defeated India by 1-0 in the final at Birshreshtha Shaheed Sepoy Mostafa Kamal Stadium on December 24.
The hosts remained unbeaten, conceding no goals during the tournament. After crushing Nepal 6-0 in their first match, the girls beat Bhutan 3-0 and India 3-0 in the run up to the final.
- PM urges dev partners to trim down conditions
- ‘No difficulty in Padma Bridge for coronavirus’
- Youth held for selling fake question paper in Lalmonirhat
- Appoint doctors in prison hospital’s vacant posts: HC
- Taposh’s manifesto promises to build modern Dhaka
- Moyna; a brave woman entrepreneur
- Mymensingh farmers busy cultivating Boro paddy
- Jet evacuates Americans from China
- New route being built on Dhaka to Ctg-Sylhet
- Shah Rukh Khan’s cousin Noor Jehan dies of cancer
- Japanese brings back 206 evacuees from Wuhan
- UAE confirms first coronavirus cases
- ‘Deal of the Century’ best betrayal of century: Iran
- Question leaker held in capital
- ‘Bollywood does not need international audiences’
- US dropped record number of bombs in Afghanistan
- Robbing with law enforcers identity, 3 detained
- Severe floods in Brazil leave 52 dead
- 7.7 quake hits Caribbean, Tsunami warning issued
- Jamal Bhuyan stood by the cold affecteds on street
- Kobe Bryant’s body among 3 identified
- 67 foreign observers in city polls
- Light rain or drizzle likely
- Coronavirus exceeds SARS virus
- AC Milan knock out Torino to reach Coppa Italia semis
- ‘I do not want coronavirus in Bangladesh, so I will not return’
- Coronavirus: Germany confirms 3 more cases
- Trump releases long-awaited Middle-East peace plan
- India faces NZ in 3rd T20 today
- Coronavirus death toll exceeding to 132
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin fare Tk 15,000!
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- 3 US crew killed in Australia firefighting plane crash
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- Bangladesh meet Pakistan in 3rd T20 today
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- ‘Coronavirus will not enter Bangladesh’