Onion price to be normal soon
Published: 11:01 PM, 1 October 2019
Ministry of Commerce on Wednesday said that there is no deficit of onion in any market of the country while the consumers does not need to be worried over the onion price as it will come to a normalcy soon.
“Assessing the overall situation, there is nothing to be worried about the onion price as sufficient amount of onions are available in the market. The price of onions will be normal soon,” said a press release of the Ministry of Commerce today.
It said that due to the various steps taken by the Ministry to keep the supply and price of onion stable, the kitchen markets have already started to experience positive impact.
The Bangladesh Bank has taken steps to reduce the LC margin and interest rates for importing onion. Besides, the National Board of Revenue (NBR) and the port authorities concerned have taken steps for unloading the imported onion at the sea and land ports on urgent basis.
All necessary steps have been undertaken to make the import of onion flawless at the Bhomra, Sona Masjid, Hilli and Benapole land ports while the Ministry has tasked 10 of its high officials for monitoring the overall situation and they have started monitoring the markets of Cox’s Bazar, Chattogram, Faridpur, Rajbari, Jashore, Dinajpur, Pabna, Satkhira, Sirajganj and Shariutpur districts from Tuesday.
Besides, effective measures have been taken from each district administration as unloading of imported onions from Myanmar, Egypt and Turkey has started at the ports. The imported onion from Myanmar through Teknaf Port as well as other sold onion from the wholesale markets across the country is
spreading throughout the country without any interference. “The supply of onion is now at a normal state,” the release added.
The number of trucks for selling onion, by the Trading Corporation of Bangladesh (TCB) at taka 45 per kg, has been raised to 35 from 16 today to keep the price of onion stable.
The Commerce Ministry press release said that the country needs to import 8 to 10 lakh metric tons of onion every year and according to the official estimation there is now no crisis of onion in the country.
It said that imported onion from Egypt and Turkey has started arriving in the country while imported onion from India alongside the locally produced onion would hit the market soon.
Apart from this, the Ministry of Commerce has held a number of meetings with the importers and businessmen and requested them to do their business with integrity.
Besides, the government has also announced that necessary action would be taken as per the law if anyone tries to store onion, manipulate its price and tries to deter the usual supply.
- Weightlifter Mabia clinches 5th gold for Bangladesh
- Police officers among 8 killed in Kenya bus attack
- Australia’s bushfires out of control
- BSMRUST reduces admission fee finally
- 44 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- 10min charge 12 hrs backup!
- Bangladesh reaches final beating Nepal
- Kenya building collapse: Several killed, more feared trapped
- 24 hours in onion field to prevent theft
- Two killed as truck hit autorickshaw
- Aziz Khan named 40th richest in Singapore
- Schoolboy killed in Rangpur road crash
- Peon killed after being hit by motorcycle
- Dry weather likely with partly cloudy sky
- Veteran actor Khalil’s 5th death anniv today
- Indian rape victim dies after being set ablaze
- Ways to prevent tooth decay
- 4 fruits to reduce age
- Petrobangla building fire under control
- Mickey Arthur appointed as Sri Lankan head coach
- Fire at Petrobangla building in Karwan Bazar
- Suu Kyi flies to Hague next week
- Three of a family found dead in Barishal
- Two launches collide in Meghna; 1 killed, missing 15
- Man City to face Man United today
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Salman Khan sunken in Afghan beauty
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Death of Dia-Rajib: Verdict tomorrow