One year of horrific US-Bangla crash
Published: 12:20 PM, 12 March 2019 Updated: 12:25 PM, 12 March 2019
On this day in 2018, at least 51 people including 21 Bangladeshis were killed as an US-Bangla flight from Dhaka crashed in Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport, Nepal.
This is the deadliest civil aviation disaster in Bangladesh's history.
The US-Bangla Airlines flight BS211, a 76-seater Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400, slammed on an empty field, caught fire, and came to a rest on a football pitch.
It was flying with 67 passengers, two pilots and two cabin crew members.
Official investigation led by the Nepalese government claimed that Captain Abid Sultan of US-Bangla Flight BS211 was going through tremendous ‘personal mental stress and anxiety, and a series of erroneous decisions on his part that led to the crash of the flight.
The pilot appears to have ‘lied’ to the control tower during the landing procedure and was smoking continuously inside the cockpit during the one-hour flight from Dhaka to Kathmandu, said the report.
Throughout the flight, Sultan was engaged in ‘erratic behaviour’ that marked a departure from his usual character-signs that should have immediately raised red flags, Nepali investigators concluded in the report.
However, Bangladeshi aviation sector stakeholders involved in the US-Bangla Airlines plane crash investigation termed the report ‘false’ and ‘baseless’.
Captain Salahuddin M Rahmatullah, chief flight operations inspector at Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAAB) said, as far as the investigation commission is concerned, of which I am the accredited representative, the news is baseless. We have protested to Nepal Accident Investigation Commission on the news.
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Native fishes on extinction in Sandhya river
- Stay young in four foods!
- Southeast University fined Tk10 lakh
- Coronavirus kills two Iranians
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Women`s Cricket World Cup Roll of Honor
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Manikganj truck-private car collision left 5 injured
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 2 robbers killed in Dinajpur gunfight
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- No more `nude` selfie on phone
- Coronavirus: Death toll mounts to 2120
- 19 dead in container-bus collision in Tamil Nadu
- 68 yrs of Language Movement
- Rapper Pop Smoke shot dead
- Coronavirus: Another hospital chief infected in China
- 8 dead in gunmen attacks in Germany
- World Day of Social Justice today
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Today’s sports on TV
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak today
- AL finalizes nomination for councilor posts in CCC polls
- Four killed in Kutubdia boat capsize
- 14 gamblers-drug dealers detained in Mymensingh
- Govt to shut 3 crore illegal smartphones
- Myanmar on financial surveillance!
- Pakistan conducts successful missile test
- No high-rise buildings along sea: PM
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Soumya to get married this month
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Good news to honey farmers
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj