One year of horrific US-Bangla crash
Published: 12:20 PM, 12 March 2019 Updated: 12:25 PM, 12 March 2019
On this day in 2018, at least 51 people including 21 Bangladeshis were killed as an US-Bangla flight from Dhaka crashed in Kathmandu's Tribhuvan International Airport, Nepal.
This is the deadliest civil aviation disaster in Bangladesh's history.
The US-Bangla Airlines flight BS211, a 76-seater Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400, slammed on an empty field, caught fire, and came to a rest on a football pitch.
It was flying with 67 passengers, two pilots and two cabin crew members.
Official investigation led by the Nepalese government claimed that Captain Abid Sultan of US-Bangla Flight BS211 was going through tremendous ‘personal mental stress and anxiety, and a series of erroneous decisions on his part that led to the crash of the flight.
The pilot appears to have ‘lied’ to the control tower during the landing procedure and was smoking continuously inside the cockpit during the one-hour flight from Dhaka to Kathmandu, said the report.
Throughout the flight, Sultan was engaged in ‘erratic behaviour’ that marked a departure from his usual character-signs that should have immediately raised red flags, Nepali investigators concluded in the report.
However, Bangladeshi aviation sector stakeholders involved in the US-Bangla Airlines plane crash investigation termed the report ‘false’ and ‘baseless’.
Captain Salahuddin M Rahmatullah, chief flight operations inspector at Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAAB) said, as far as the investigation commission is concerned, of which I am the accredited representative, the news is baseless. We have protested to Nepal Accident Investigation Commission on the news.
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Top 5 cybersecurity challenges for CISOs
- Rohingya crisis: ICC deleagtion due today
- ‘Not in Rangpur, Ershad to be buried in Dhaka’
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Security flaws in messaging apps allow hackers to alter images
- US firms may get nod to restart Huawei sales in 2-4 weeks
- 2 workers electrocuted in Rampura
- Five children drown in Kurigram floods
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- `There is a chance to joint invest in Bangladesh`
- BNP’s anarchy will not be tolerated: Hasan
- Sachin picks Shakib in his World Cup XI
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 4 hacked dead in Debidwar, ‘killer’ lynched
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque