One dead, four missing in Russia gas blast
Published: 05:07 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 05:07 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
One person was killed and four were missing after a gas explosion tore through a multi-storey residential building in southern Russia early on Monday, authorities said.
The blast, in the town of Shakhty in the southern Rostov region, destroyed several apartments on the top two floors of the nine-storey building, the emergencies ministry said.
“The fate of four people remains unknown,” emergencies ministry spokeswoman Marina Chernyavskaya told AFP, adding that a rescue operation involving more than 200 workers was under way.
The blast came two weeks after a gas explosion tore through a Russian apartment block in the Urals city of Magnitogorsk on New Year’s Eve, leaving 39 people dead.
Chernyavskaya said the building in Shakhty, 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) south of Moscow, was in danger of collapse and officials planned to prop it up.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has been notified of the gas explosion, with the Rostov governor reporting to him on the rescue operation, the Kremlin said.
“The president tasked the head of the region to provide comprehensive assistance to the victims,” the Kremlin said in a statement.
On New Year’s Eve Putin inspected the collapsed building in Magnitogorsk and visited the hospitalized victims.
Authorities said the rescue operation in Shakhty would take at least 24 hours.
A man and a two-year-old girl were hospitalized and their condition was “satisfactory,” said Chernyavskaya.
More than 40 people were evacuated to a nearby school.
Earlier in Magnitogorsk, investigators ruled out foul play, saying the accident came as a result of a gas explosion.
Gas explosions are relatively common in Russia, where much of the infrastructure dates back to the Soviet era and safety requirements are often ignored.
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man killed in Paltan road crash
- Levitating objects with light
- Movement of Suprobhat, Jabal-e-Noor buses suspended
- 300 ‘Su-Probhat’ buses on road; appro70 only
- Cucsu polls to be held soon
- 2 buses collision kills 3 in Sirajganj
- 2 burnt in Ctg gas line explosion
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand