Dr Kamal sends letter to PM for 2nd phase of talks
Published: 01:26 PM, 4 November 2018 Updated: 01:26 PM, 4 November 2018
Jatiya Oikyafront chief Dr Kamal Hossain sent another letter to Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday seeking the second phase of small-group talks with her over the next general election.
Three Gono Forum leaders - Jaglul Haider Afrik, AHM Shafiq Ullah and Mostak Ahmed - carried the letter to Awami League President’s Dhanmondi office around 12:00 pm.
Mostak Ahmed said they handed over the letter to an office assistant, Masud Alauddin.
In the letter he said, Dr Kamal Hossain urged the Prime Minister to hold a small-scale dialogue with Oikyafront over the next general election.
Earlier on Saturday night, a meeting of the alliance’s steering committee at Dr Kamal Hossain’s Motijheel chamber decided to send the letter to the Prime Minister.
After the meeting, BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, “Jatiya Oikyafront had a dialogue with her (PM) on November 1, and it was discussed that a small-group dialogue with us can be held again. Based on that, the Prime Minister will be given another letter tomorrow (Sunday).
In the letter, he said, they will mention about the Oikyafront’s letter sent to the Election Commission urging it not to announce the election schedule as long as the dialogue is over.
Fakhrul hoped that the talks will be held on a small-scale on the country’s current political crisis.
Earlier, Dr Kamal, on behalf of the Oikyafront, sent a letter to the Election Commission urging it not to announce the schedule for next election until the ongoing dialogue ends.
On November 1, a 23-member delegation of 14-party, led by Sheikh Hasina, sat in talks at Ganobhaban with Dr Kamal Hossain-led 20-member Oikyafront team.
After the meeting, Oikyafront leaders said they placed their seven-point demand before Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina but did not find any specific solution except some good words about rallies and meetings.
Sheikh Hasina invited the Oikyafront leaders to join the dialogue on October 29 following a letter sent to her by Dr Kamal Hossain on behalf of the alliance, seeking talks on election issues.
- Japanese SEZ on 1,000 acres of land in Narayanganj
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- Hasnain debuts as Pakistan bat in 2nd ODI against Australia
- Dog `fakes own death` in dramatic reaction
- BNP neither in court, nor in field: Tofail Ahmed
- Postman died for 21 min, then came back to life
- Mass Killing Day tomorrow
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- NZ to hold national remembrance next Friday
- Court set Apr 29 for reports submission over DU violence cases
- Hasan Mahmud consoles death of Shahnaj Rahmatullah
- Two killed in trucks collision in Dinajpur
- Ass presiding officer detained in Daulatpur
- UN Undersecretary General meets PM
- Voting underway in Thailand`s election
- World Tuberculosis Day today
- Bus driver detained over SAU student murder
- Students block Dhaka-Mymensingh-Tangail highway at Gazipur
- Bollywood’s 64th Filmfare Awards 2019
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Nation celebrates Bangabandhu’s 100th birthday
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway