Nusrat murder: Principal Siraj among 16 to die
Published: 11:24 AM, 24 October 2019 Updated: 02:58 PM, 24 October 2019
A tribunal in Feni on Thursday sentenced 16 people including principal Md Sirajuddoula to death in the case lodged over the murder of Sonagazi madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi. The Tribunal also fined them Tk 1 lakh each.
Judge Md Mamunur Rashed of Feni Women and Child Repression Prevention Tribunal pronounced the verdict around 11:30 am.
The death awardees are - former principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa Md Sirajuddaula, Nur Uddin, Shahdat Hossain Shamim, Sonagazi municipality councillor Maksud Alam, Saifur Rahman Mohammad Jobayer, Jabed Hossain alias Sakhwat Hossain Jabed, Hafez Abdul Kader, Afsar Uddin, Kamrun Nahar Moni, Umme Sultana alias Popy alias Tuhin alias Shampa alias Champa, Abdur Rahim Sharif, Eftekhar Uddin Rana, Imran Hossain alias Mamun, Mohammad Shamim, Vice-President of the Governing Body of Madrasah Ruhul Amin and Mohiuddin Shakil.
Earlier on September 30, the tribunal set today to pronounce the verdict as both the state and defence concluded their arguments on that day.
Nusrat, a student of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa, was set on fire on April 6, 2019, by stooges of madrasa principal Md Sirajuddoula as she refused to withdraw a case filed against the teacher for sexual harassment. Nusrat succumbed to her injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 10.
Nusrat’s brother Mahmudul Hasan Noman on April 8, had filed the case against eight.
Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) on June 29 filed charge sheet against 16. The court examined 87 witnesses on different occasions from June 27 to September 30.
Nusrat had accused Sirajuddoula of harassing her sexually on March 27 while she was exposed to his extreme vengeance on April 6 when she went to the madrasa to appear in Alim examination.
A group of masked youths, later found to be the cronies of the disgraced principal, took Nusrat to the rooftop of the madrasa and set her on fire after tying her with her scarf.
- 2 arrested with 862 bottles of Phensidyl in Uttara
- Playwright Shahadat Hossain Sujan dies
- PM greets FFs with gifts on Victory Day
- President takes Salam on Victory Day Parade
- Actress A Karina dies
- Netanyahu`s Likud challenger surging ahead of primary launch
- Winter begins today
- Bodies of Gazipur factory fire victims handed over to families
- Blankets distribution on Victory Day in Tangail
- 3 held with Phensidyl in Faridpur
- Notice show cause sent against Daily Sangram
- No compromise with anti-liberation forces’
- AL, front orgs pay tributes to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- Protests over India`s citizenship law on 5th day
- Indonesia hits EU over palm oil case
- Obesity, undernourishment stalks world: report
- Asian markets struggle for traction, dealers await trade details
- 4 bodies identified burnt in Gazipur fan factory fire
- 1st ever Global Refugee Forum begins in Geneva
- 28 houses gutted in Rampura fire
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- President, PM pay rich tributes to martyrs on Victory Day
- Tigers’ wishes on Victory Day
- Millions of people pay tribute to the nation`s best children
- Victory Day today
- Hetmyer, Hope power Windies to 8-wicket over India
- Bowlers, Labuschagne fire Australia to easy win
- Boko Haram kill 19 Nigeria herders in clashes
- Tigers focus firmly on Test cricket amid BBPL festivity
- Housewife’s hanging body recovered in Ctg
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Air ticket at Tk 16 on Dec 16!
- Sanna Marin, world’s youngest-serving PM
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Gambia details mass rapes, killings in Myanmar
- 11 Australians missing in New Zealand eruption