Nuclear Titanic: 1st Russ seaborne NPP
Published: 09:48 AM, 24 August 2019 Updated: 04:20 PM, 24 August 2019
Russia’s first floating nuclear power plant, dubbed as ‘Nuclear Titanic’, set sail on Friday from the Arctic port of Murmansk to provide power to one of the country’s most remote regions, sparking environmental concerns, news Reuters.
Developed by the Russian state nuclear company Rosatom, the plant, known as “Akademik Lomonosov”, set off on a 5,000 km (3,100 mile) journey through Arctic waters to reach the Chukotka region, which lies across the Bering Strait from Alaska.
The plant, loaded with nuclear fuel, will replace a coal-fired power plant and an aging nuclear power plant supplying more than 50,000 people with electricity in the town of Pevek.
Rosatom says the plant is safe and can serve as a new power source for the planet’s most isolated communities, but environmentalists have voiced concerns over the risk of nuclear accidents.
Greenpeace has called it the “nuclear Titanic”.
“We think that a floating nuclear power plant is an excessively risky and costly way of obtaining energy,” Rashid Alimov of Greenpeace Russia told Reuters.
He added the unit had not been built with the purpose of fulfilling the energy needs of Chukotka, but rather to serve as a model for potential foreign buyers.
Asked to comment on Greenpeace’s statement, Rosatom said: “Instead of seeing the Akademik Lomonosov as an opportunity for clean, green, and stable energy supplies in harsh and remote conditions, it scaremongers.”
Rosatom said the plant was able to “safely withstand a full spectrum of negative scenarios including man-made and natural disasters.”
Sergey Ivanov, the president’s special representative for environmental and transport issues, said that the plant had been visited by experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) during its construction.
“There wasn’t a single remark or concern expressed on its ecological safety,” Ivanov said at a ceremony to mark the plant’s launch.
The nuclear plant’s voyage comes at a time of heightened concern over nuclear energy, following a deadly blast this month in northern Russia during a weapons system test that caused a spike in radiation levels in a nearby city.
- S Korea`s young men are fighting against feminism
- Hong Kong protesters trash subway station, stage mall rally
- 19 arrested from 3 Spa centers at Gulshan-1
- Nasima Begum appointed NHRC Chairman
- Houthi rebels in Yemen say they will stop attacks on Saudi Arabia
- 5 JMB men sentenced 12 yrs jail for Khilkhet bomb attack
- 16 years friendship or something!
- U-19 cricket team leaves for NZ Monday
- Couple becomes millionaire by cheating
- Live crocodile in pond!
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Daughter demands info on Mehbooba Mufti’s arrest
- Huge Typhoon Tapah threatens Japan, South Korea
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Puja Cherry got married!
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing