`Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
Published: 08:12 PM, 22 April 2019 Updated: 08:13 PM, 22 April 2019
BNP senior leader Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain on Monday said it is not possible to ‘restore’ democracy in the country without freeing Khaleda Zia from jail.
Speaking at a sit-in programme, he urged BNP leaders and activists to get ready for launching a mass movement to have Khaleda released from jail.
“It’s not possible to restore democracy keeping ‘mother of democracy’ Khaleda Zia in jail. We must free Khaleda Zia first to bring back democracy and people’s rights under her leadership,” the BNP leader said.
He called upon the people of all walks of life to get united and involve in the movement to be initiated by their party soon.
Swadhinata Forum, a pro-BNP platform, arranged the programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club demanding the withdrawal of ‘false’ cases filed against BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and its acting chairman Tarique Rahman.
Mosharraf, a BNP standing committee member, said the country is passing through a very critical time as the ruling party men have shattered the economy by indulging in widespread plundering and corruption.
He said people are now worried about their personal security the way untoward incidents are growing across the country. “Now, people don’t have the sense of security in the country. The brutal killing of our sister Nusrat in Sonagzai has exposed that no is now safe.”
To get rid of the current ‘unusual’ situation, the BNP leader said there is no alternative to restoring democracy in the country.
He alleged that the government has kept Khaleda in jail ‘unfairly’ as it fears her popularity. “She has been subjected to political vengeance for her struggle for democracy and people’s rights.”
After the programme, Mosharraf visited ailing BNP chairperson’s media wing member Sayrul Kabir Khan at Islami Bank Hospital in the capital’s Kakrail.
He talked to doctors and inquired about Sayrul’s health condition. He was admitted to the hospital on Sunday after he fell sick at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office.
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- President reaches London
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg