`Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
Published: 08:12 PM, 22 April 2019 Updated: 08:13 PM, 22 April 2019
BNP senior leader Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain on Monday said it is not possible to ‘restore’ democracy in the country without freeing Khaleda Zia from jail.
Speaking at a sit-in programme, he urged BNP leaders and activists to get ready for launching a mass movement to have Khaleda released from jail.
“It’s not possible to restore democracy keeping ‘mother of democracy’ Khaleda Zia in jail. We must free Khaleda Zia first to bring back democracy and people’s rights under her leadership,” the BNP leader said.
He called upon the people of all walks of life to get united and involve in the movement to be initiated by their party soon.
Swadhinata Forum, a pro-BNP platform, arranged the programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club demanding the withdrawal of ‘false’ cases filed against BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and its acting chairman Tarique Rahman.
Mosharraf, a BNP standing committee member, said the country is passing through a very critical time as the ruling party men have shattered the economy by indulging in widespread plundering and corruption.
He said people are now worried about their personal security the way untoward incidents are growing across the country. “Now, people don’t have the sense of security in the country. The brutal killing of our sister Nusrat in Sonagzai has exposed that no is now safe.”
To get rid of the current ‘unusual’ situation, the BNP leader said there is no alternative to restoring democracy in the country.
He alleged that the government has kept Khaleda in jail ‘unfairly’ as it fears her popularity. “She has been subjected to political vengeance for her struggle for democracy and people’s rights.”
After the programme, Mosharraf visited ailing BNP chairperson’s media wing member Sayrul Kabir Khan at Islami Bank Hospital in the capital’s Kakrail.
He talked to doctors and inquired about Sayrul’s health condition. He was admitted to the hospital on Sunday after he fell sick at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office.
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- Castor oil eliminate your acne problems
- Two kids drown in Jamalpur
- Delicious ‘Morog Khobani’ in this Puja
- Now police drive in Motijheel clubs
- AL identifies intruders
- `All must come forward against drug, sex-crime`
- DNCC launches eviction drive
- Minni in SC with father
- None will be allowed to run casino; says HM
- No lack of govt’s initiative on Rohingya repatriation
- 26 killed as bus rams into hill in Pakistan
- Saudi Arabia to avenge attacks on oil installations
- Gully Boy India’s entry for Oscars 2020
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing