North Korea rebuilding rocket launch site
Published: 04:01 PM, 6 March 2019
New satellite images of North Korea suggest it is restoring a rocket launch site it had pledged to dismantle, say analysts.
The images were taken two days after talks between the leaders of the US and North Korea ended without them reaching a deal on denuclearisation.
The Tongchang-ri site has been used for satellite launches and engine testing, never for ballistic missile launches.
Work to dismantle it began last year but stopped as the US talks stalled.
The pledge to dismantle it had been seen as a confidence-building measure between Pyongyang and Washington.
Meanwhile, the US has warned North Korea could face yet more sanctions should Pyongyang not take steps to denuclearise. \
The satellite evidence, coming from several US think tanks and testimony from the South Korean intelligence service, appears to show rapid progress has been made in rebuilding structures on the rocket launch pad at the Sohae site at Tongchang-ri.
Sohae has been North Korea's main satellite launch facility since 2012. It has also been used for testing engines for missiles capable of reaching the US.
But it has never been used for testing the ballistic missiles which have been considered so provocative.
"This distinction is important," Jenny Town, managing editor of monitoring group 38 North, told the BBC.
"The North Koreans likely see the rebuilding not as an active part of their missile programme, but of their civilian space programme, a distinction they have made repeatedly in the past," said Ms Town.
She said the rebuilding of structures at the site could signal a lack of trust in the negotiations process. BBC
- Zimbabwe not taking part Bangladesh T20 tri-series
- Hong Kong actor Simon Yam stabbed on stage in China
- Germany remembers heroes in Hitler assassination bid
- 14-party demands bringing Priya to justice
- `Women entrepreneurs to get plots at BSCIC industrial estates`
- PM attains London envoy conference
- Schoolgirl commits suicide in Muksudpur
- UK summons Iranian diplomat over tanker seizure
- Boylifter: legal action against lyncher
- Tanker seizure: Iran Choosing dangerous path; says Jeremy Hunt
- Mobile court sentences 20 people in capital
- Tigers reaches Sri Lanka
- Youth lost life to adorn wedding
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- RCC declares clean city next day of Qurbani
- Three-time Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit dies
- 118 native fish on extinction in Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka series will be challenging: Tamim
- Miller to play for Dhaka Dynamites
- Saudi announces free internet and SIM service for pilgrims
- One electrocuted amid shot circuit fire in Kishoreganj
- Robot to douse fire
- “Macedon too small for you, one day you will conquer world”
- ‘Benapole Express’ launches
- Priya Saha’s statement completely untrue: Quader
- Acne’s remedy ‘Nutmeg’!
- 50 years ago, humanity’s 1st steps on another world
- ‘Priya Saha fabricated allegations to defame country’s image’
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after returning home: HM
- Lawyers team on way to Barguna to assist Minni
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- How to get HSC result
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM urges DCs to be sincere for accelerated development
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday