Non-MPO teachers-employees start hunger strike
Published: 02:24 PM, 31 December 2017 Updated: 09:32 PM, 3 January 2018
The teachers and employees of Non-MPO educational institutions, that do not enjoy the government’s Monthly Pay Order (MPO) facilities, started hunger strike on Sunday Morning.
Under the banner of "Non-MPO Shikhya Pratishthan Shikhyak Karmachari Federation" about 200 hundred teachers and employees started the hunger strike in front of the National Press Club around 9 am.
On Saturday, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid urged them to end their agitation and return to their homes. He said, we have no shortage of kindness to MPO. It will be possible if the budget allocation is made from the Ministry of Finance.
Later, the teacher vowed to continue with their demonstration rejecting the education minister`s call to end their agitation. They promise that the hunger strike will be continue unto death.
The leaders of the "Non-MPO Shikhya Pratishthan Shikhyak Karmachari Federation" said, none has ever talked to us about the matter in favor of government. A total of 80,000 teachers from 5,242 non-MPO educational institutions are working without any pay, some for more than a decade.
It’s mentioned that after a suspension of six years by the then BNP-led alliance government, the Awami League-led government revived the MPO facility in 2010, as per its electoral pledge, and enlisting 1,624 private secondary and higher secondary schools and colleges in the MPO scheme.
The rest of the non-MPO teachers have been staging various protests since then.
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- Indian entrepreneurs urged to invest in Bangladesh
- Britain votes in ‘Brexit election’
- BB new Executive Director Kazi Enayet Hossain
- 1 killed in Munshiganj wall collapse
- Twitter backs overhaul of social media to stem disinformation
- 2 killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Mashrafe focuses on next game
- 1 dies as workers continue hunger strike
- ‘Corruption in education sector will be eliminated’
- ‘No event under open sky on 31st night’
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- Dhaka set 135 for Rajshahi
- Ali Ajgar’s generosity for poor people
- Rain suspends play in Rawalpindi Test
- Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe