No motorcycle to ply from Tuesday night
Published: 03:20 PM, 25 February 2019
Authorities have imposed a ban on the motorcycle in the areas under Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) for three days - from Tuesday midnight to Friday midnight for the DNCC by-elections for the mayoral post.
A notification signed by the EC's Deputy Secretary Atiur Rahman was issued in this regard.
Apart from this, the authorities concerned also banned the plying of all motor vehicles in the areas from February 27 midnight to February 28 midnight.
The ban will be applicable on motor-run three-wheelers, auto-rickshaws, bike, taxi cab, microbus, jeep, pickup, car, bus, truck, tempo, and easy bike and locally made different types of vehicles driven by motor.
By-polls to DNCC mayoral post will be held on February 28. Election to councillor posts in the 36 new wards - 18 under the DNCC and 18 under the Dhaka South City Corporation - will also be held on the day.
The DNCC mayoral post fell vacant following the death of Annisul Huq on November 30, 2017. He was elected mayor on April 28, 2015.
On January 9 last year, the EC had declared the schedule of the DNCC by-polls and election in the new wards, setting February 26 for the voting day.
However, the polls were not held as the HC stayed the election schedule for six months. The court order came following filing of three writ petitions that challenged the legality of the schedule.
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Begum Rokeya Day today
- Helper killed after being hit by covered van
- Pedestrian killed in Bogura road crash
- Tourists stranded as storms batter New Zealand
- International Anti-Corruption Day today
- ‘100 people near New Zealand volcano when it erupted’
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 16 killed in Uganda landslides
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Motorcycle-auto collision kills 2 in M’singh
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- SpaceX delivers `mighty mice,` worms, robot to space station
- BBPL inaugurated with huge enthusiasm and fanfare
- Unidentified child killed in Capital train-crash
- Remove Mithila, Fahmi’s personal photos from online platforms: HC
- 431 IU ‘B’ unit seats remain vacant
- Dengue rules Lakmal out of Pakistan Tests
- BJSC-BUP Sangsad Pres Soumik, GS Kona
- Iran says new budget bucks US oil embargo, uses Russian loan
- Cleansing operation must succeed
- Bangladesh create history securing 14 golds
- 2 killed in Jhenaidah
- Application for admission begins in SAU
- Bangladesh out of title race
- NBR Chairman hopes for 20pc revenue growth
- ‘E-TIN holders to be forced for return submission’
- Ten cattle stolen in one night
- Mahmudullah doubtful in BBPL opener
- BPL inaugural ceremony kicks off
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Remittance inflow increases by 31.75pc in November
- Nepal`s mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry
- 24 killed as bus plunges off cliff in Tunisia
- WASA’s water pure such claim untrue: Expert Committee
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- 629 Pakistani girls sold to China
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer