‘No existence of media owners without journalists’
Published: 01:29 PM, 19 August 2019
Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain; File Photo
Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain has remarked that there is no existence of media owners without journalists.
He made the remarks during a hearing in the Appellate Division on the publication of the final gazette of the ninth wage board on Monday.
Mainly, journalists are running the newspaper. If they do not work, then the white paper will come out the next day, said former attorney general AF Hassan Arif, petitioner's lawyer, during the hearing.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam said at the hearing that
“The case had been challenged before the Gazette was published. This writ is pre-matured,” said Attorney General Mahbubey Alam during the hearing. “The case was made to avoid paying the journalists. After the Gazette of the Wage Board, there is a chance of objection within 14 days. But no gazette has published. And a writ has already been filed.”
“The gazette was not supposed to be made in accordance with Article 128 of the Labor Act. There is a chance of objection if that gazette was published. Then another gazette will be made according to Article 145, which will be the final one. But it didn’t happen,” said AF Hassan Arif.
Then, the court asked the Attorney General about the publication of the Gazette, the Attorney General said, “I will inform you after getting information.”
Later, the court fixed the day on Tuesday for the hearing of the state’s petition against the High Court order to maintain a status-quo for two months on publication of gazette notification of the ninth wage board for journalists.
The Appellate Division led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order.
Earlier on August 4, the High Court issued a two-month stay on the publication of the final gazette of the Ninth Wageboard, which is set to pay the salaries of journalists and officials involved with newspapers.
The high court bench comprising Justice Obaidul Hasan and Justice Mohammad Ali passed the order.
Later, the petitioner appealed to the Appellate Division to stay the order.
On August 4, Motiur Rahman, the editor of Prothom Alo and president of Newspapers Owners Association (NOAB) filed the writ on behalf of the newspaper owners’ association.
- Minni’s trip to Dhaka Saturday
- Tohura star as Bangladesh draw 2-2 with Australia
- ‘Alpha’ to represent Bangladesh in Oscar
- VC Nasir’s one-day tea bill Tk 40,000!
- Fishers’ pleasure of repay dues
- Nusrat murder accused Moni gave birth in prison
- Bangladesh take on Yemen in AFC U-16 Championship tomorrow
- Milan Fashion: J-Lo struts updated jungle dress at Versace
- Dananjaya suspended for illegal action
- Simeone - `I`m not interested` in Griezmann reports
- Housewife dies of dengue in Barishal
- £6bn UK aid for Bangladesh, other climate victim countries
- KCC to get modern slaughterhouse soon
- Pea-flour to prevent dandruff-hair fall
- Huge asteroid narrowly missed Earth; NASA reveals
- Two cases filed against Firoz
- Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Millions march against climate change
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?