No army in KCC, GCC polls: EC
Published: 09:49 PM, 26 April 2018
The Election Commission said on Thursday no army will be deployed in the city corporation elections of Khulna and Gazipur.
Commission secretary Helaluddin Ahmed said generally army personnel are not deployed in the local government elections. So, there will be no army in the elections of Khulna and Gazipur. Instead, huge law enforcing members (police, RAB, BGB and Ansar) will be deployed.
Helaluddin Ahmed told these while talking to journalists after a meeting on the law and order situation of the two city corporation elections held at Election Commission on Thursday.
The meeting was held with the presence of CEC KM Nurul Huda, election commissioners, IGP, high officials of RAB, BGB and Ansar department.
Meanwhile, in recent times the BNP demanded deployment of army in the elections of two city corporations.
The elections in Gazipur and Khulna City Corporations are scheduled to be held on May 15.
Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda announced the date on March 31.
Candidates submitted their nomination applications to the returning officers by April 12 while the deadline to withdraw the candidature was on April 23, according to the polls schedule.
Dhaka’s Divisional Election Officer Rakibuddin Mandal and Khulna’s Divisional Election Officer Md Yunus Ali have been appointed as the returning officers respectively for Gazipur and Khulna City Corporations.
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus