No BNP MPs-elect take oath
Published: 12:42 PM, 3 January 2019 Updated: 12:42 PM, 3 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The newly-elected lawmakers have been sworn in on Thursday as lawmakers to the Jatiya Sangsad. However, no opposition BNP or Jatiya Oikyafront elects were seen in the oath-taking ceremony.
Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury conducted the oath under the moderation of Dr Zafar Ahmed Khan, senior secretary to the parliament secretariat, at the 'Oath Room' in the parliament building.
The outgoing Speaker first took oath herself as an MP and then administered the oath to other AL MPs at the Oath Room of the Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban.
Firstly, 257 freshly elected Awami League lawmakers were sworn in. Next, 22 lawmakers elected from Jatiya Party were sworn in at the parliament.
The polling was held between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm peacefully amid a festivity in 299 seats out of total 300 on Sunday last as voting in Gaibandha-3 constituency was suspended due to death of a candidate earlier.
However, the results of Brahmanbaria-2 constituency was postponed as voting in three centers of the constituency was suspended.
According to the results of the poll, Awami League bagged 259 seats, HM Ershad-led Jatiya Party secured 20 seats while BNP got just five seats.
Workers Party bagged three seats while Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal two seats, Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh two seats and Tariqat Federation one seat.
Gonoforum bagged two seats while Manju-led Jatiya Party (JP) one seat and independent candidates got three seats.
- Extremism can be of any kind: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- UN to adopt tougher policy against Myanmar
- No gas supply to Kawla, Zia Colony for 9hrs today
- Heat weave may continue
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- 18 killed, 29 injured in Venezuela road crash
- OC Moazzem handed over to Feni police
- Moazzem to be produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal today
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Shahid says fight with Mira can last 15 days
- Tigers take on WI a must-win WC match
- 5th phase polls in 23 UZs tomorrow
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- Class XI admission results published
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- JS budget session begins today
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held